angus bulls , thickness , with frame

Help Support CattleToday:

polledbull

Reaction score
I want to AI some angus cows , i want to be sure to keep them as tall as I can( 58-60 in mature frame)6-6.5 FSC on bulls and still make them pretty thick , I like the SAV bulls , but I hear they could be short. I like SAV Providence ,SAV Heriatige . I used 004 Predominant and he was way moderate . Im open to other ranch bulls as well , I hear good things about Connealy bulls I am using EXAR Upshot and SAV Brave as well. thanks for any information.

I agree with jake. stiz upward. I seen this bull at stud. He was really nice just to big for what I'm trying to do but sound like he could be a good fit for your operation.

If your not worried about birth weight I would look at SAV Rito 9969 he may not have quite the frame you want but the power and thickness is there. I'm trying to think of more that I would suggest but I'm drawing a blank.

Alacowman i believe you are right i seen the jump and what looks like a dog towards the truck but i think the fence did get him after watching again i need to pay more attention

bse":25e627ns said:
Alacowman i believe you are right i seen the jump and what looks like a dog towards the truck but i think the fence did get him after watching again i need to pay more attention
just going on,, but some folks will see something like that and run with it ;-)

cow pollinater":3cwlqnbi said:
I'd like to know why you're so concerned with the big frame.
What is big about a frame 6 animal? A frame 6 steer should be about 1300 lbs at 0.5 inch back fat.

LazyARanch":1erqy6ir said:
ALACOWMAN":1erqy6ir said:
bse":1erqy6ir said:
best group i had that push the scales is WMR Timeless 458 http://accelgen.com/catalog/semen-beef/ ... eless-458/ ive seen several of his first calving daughters also there gonna milk fine and have the growth.
weak legs.. did you see his left front give out from under him :cowboy:

FWIW I think he's a little too straight in his shoulders.... :2cents:

A straight shouldered bull (to the point where it's a concern) cannot carry his head as high as he does. He doesn't have the longest gait, but its probably more due the stiffness due to management than real structural issues.

i just know that if you dont work on keeping them pretty them tall they will get short on there on , and alot of bulls out there are pretty moderate now , and I cant sell 5 frame score bulls in NC. I have had to many as well that simply just would not grow like I wanted .I would like to bred to as powerful as angus genetics as I can find and see how they do , I have some pretty good angus cows

polledbull":a5u4rk05 said:
i just know that if you dont work on keeping them pretty them tall they will get short on there on , and alot of bulls out there are pretty moderate now , and I cant sell 5 frame score bulls in NC. I have had to many as well that simply just would not grow like I wanted .I would like to bred to as powerful as angus genetics as I can find and see how they do , I have some pretty good angus cows
so your saying they have the power to down size their frame size.. by bypassing their genetic makeup ?

alacowman , im not sure I even want to try to answer your loaded question , I have bred cattle for 30 years , and over time they will moderate if you dont keep a check on frame size , the industry has moved that way, and i was in a meeting just the other day sponsored by by a large feeder calf buying co. and a angus rep there talked alot about the top reason for dockage in feeder cattle was being short cattle, I dont want my cattle extreme ,I just dont want to order semen off bulls to find out they are a mature frame off a 5 or a 54 in mature bull,

ive seen a inbred herd do that... but one that is managed regular i aint..i been reducing my frame size the last few years and unless you go to extremes.. it dont happen over night..and i wouldnt want it to......trainwreck

Latest posts