Angus Bulls that throw white

Help Support CattleToday:

Cormac

Reaction score
It appears to me that many of the 1407 offspring I have seen, throw white. In your experiences, what other Angus bulls throw more than thier share of white marked offspring?

Cormac":16eekmkj said:
It appears to me that many of the 1407 offspring I have seen, throw white. In your experiences, what other Angus bulls throw more than thier share of white marked offspring?

Where is the white?

Cormac":1ezxbcmk said:

I can say from personal experience SAF Easy Fortune. They're registerable, but more white than we liked. I've heard that his sire, Minerts Fortune 2000 also threw white.

We never used 1407, but I've never noticed white on the animals I've seen sell. And he got a lot of use here in OKlahoma.

Fame, Focus, Fortune 2000, Heritage, Schearbrook Shoshone, 1st Edition, Traveler, Traveler(s), Density, Midland

OhioRiver":112glzyl said:
All of these make white come out on the udders are you saying?

SEC":112glzyl said:
Fame, Focus, Fortune 2000, Heritage, Schearbrook Shoshone, 1st Edition, Traveler, Traveler(s), Density, Midland

If an animal has white skin in certain areas, it's not eligible for registration with the Angus Assn. It is expensive to waste a year getting a calf on the ground, only to find it's a commercial animal and not registerable. We don't use Easy Fortune any more or any bull that we know is likely to produce a calf that can't be registered.

OhioRiver":xd3y87i9 said:

SEC":xd3y87i9 said:

White hair, yup

I forgot Kincaid,

My grandpa used to swear that cattle with white on their bags produced more and better quality milk than those that didn't.... don't know if it is true or not or if anyone else has heard this but thought about it when I saw this topic.

There are a lot of animals that will throw white. More times than not it's not a lot.

There are bulls we will avoid for that reason.
But then we have had cows throw a calf with white when the bull and the cow didn't have white and wouldn't know where the white would come from.

I forgot GT Max and Final Answer

In my comerical herd I got more than normal white out of GT Max and Pine Drive. I still use GT Max as a terminal sire but forget Pine Drive.

Frankie":7w0dyv6t said:
OhioRiver":7w0dyv6t said:

SEC":7w0dyv6t said:

If an animal has white skin in certain areas, it's not eligible for registration with the Angus Assn. It is expensive to waste a year getting a calf on the ground, only to find it's a commercial animal and not registerable. We don't use Easy Fortune any more or any bull that we know is likely to produce a calf that can't be registered.
Frankie, you can register a Black Angus if the white is behind the sheath opening ot navel.

THG

THG,

I am not sure of the exact wording but you can register an animal if the white is "limited to the underline no further forward than the navel." The quotation marks is the wording that I am unsure of, but the meaning is correct. It doesnt matter how much white either. I saw a catalog with a 1407 daughter in it she was almost completely white on her underline from udder to navel.

Ok folks, this is anathema to talk about around Association folks such as my regional manager or the big breeders. However I have a hypothisis. some of you more seasoned breeders who've been in the angus business can probably give me some idea about wether its correct. I remember back in my youth some angus breeders who were hot and heavy into the showring began to dink up their catlle with holstein and beef freisians in order to make them bigger. The assn contends that all these animals were eventaully caught up with and booted out. I contend that these breeds were permanantly infused into the angus breed and that is were we get lot of this white from. Kind of like when the breed was an average of 5 frame and in short order was more like an 8 Frame. As a historian I would like to here others perspective. Especially angus breeders that were here during those times.

The white predates the possible influence of Hosltein unless they also did it in europe before angus were first imported here

Angus cattle have always had genes which resulted in some white on the underline. Apparently it was even more prevalent in the early years of the breed in Scotland. Some breeders believed that cows with some white were better milkers. While there may well have been some illegal infusion of other breeds into the Angus gene pool, intentionally or unintentionally, most of these would have been eliminated by blood typing or DNA testing. I doubt if the white we see today has much to do with these incidents.

Latest posts