angus bull x with a long horned heifer????

Help Support CattleToday:

it depends on what kind of long horned heifer it is. is it a limousin or a charolais or what?

have got a couple longhorn/angus calves this season, yep mostly black and no horns though one was speckled black and white. i think they make a good cheap mix if you're wanting to put some good beef/marbling on a longhorn x calf.

jmo

DOC HARRIS":ibv4zjti said:
Beefy":ibv4zjti said:
it depends on what kind of long horned heifer it is. is it a limousin or a charolais or what?
chuckle chuckle - Beefy - you are funny! :lol: :lol: :lol2: :lol2:

DOC HARRIS

Very funny.

As for the calf. I have a friend that does this extensively in Colorado. And they have some pretty awesome calves. Most are solid black, all polled, and put together really great and grow fast. I saw a bunch of pictures of his yearling heifers, and his feeder steers this weekend and i was extremely impressed.

Good Luck

Ryan

p.s. in Texas Longhorn, Longhorn is one word

Beefy,
Thats Hillarious.

I have had a fex Longhorn angus cross calves and they are very nice. I have heard from many people and it has also been my experience that around 75% of these calves are solid and the rest are broken color patterns. I know the same man that Ryan refered to from Colorado and he told me that the Traveler bred bulls are the most consitent as far as solid colored calves.

Good Luck,
Googly Moogly

Thanks for your'alls' replies. Merry .Gary want to know, do the longhorn x'd angus feeder calves bring as much as angus feeder calves. Thanks Please excuse typos, getting late.

it will depend on how much longhorn they show. if they look gangly and dairyish, then no. i certainly wouldnt expect them to bring the same. but they should do "ok".

They typically bring prices similar to the AngusX calves if they are solid color patterned because until weaning, they grow pretty well. If it has speckles or looks Longhorn, expect to get docked heavily because buyers can spot it and if they can't spot it, feeders don't want them as a buyer.

You are really doing a disservice to the feeder who buys the calf. While they grow okay until weaning, they fall off of a cliff once they hit the feedlot. They have trouble finishing and you can forget feed efficiency.

I have a black Angus x Longhorn heifer that is just a really nice calf. I'll take a picture and let you see her. She's out of a big horned Peeler bred Longhorn cow and an Angus bull. She's black and polled and looks like she'll be staying in our cross bred program. You'd never know her mama was a a Longhorn.

Yes, that is how I get my polled long horns I have spoken of. They come out looking like polled longhorns or solid blk calves. Some of the solids will still have speckled scrotums and such. The spotted ones sell like crap and the solids sell as well as most other calves. I have three generations seeing how long the spots will last. Angus will breed those horns off but never will do anything for the spots.

Latest posts