Angus Bull raisers

Help Support CattleToday:

Limomike

Reaction score
I just got a pure bred registered black angus bull (7months). What suggestions do you have to feed him out to get him to optimum adult size? Let me hear your ideas on how you do it. I had one man tell me to feed him 8lbs 14% creep twice daily, with hay, and of course plenty of water.

Howdy,
That could be one way, but the only other suggestion would be

"have a buddy with him"

He just will not gain as much as having competition at the feed bunk.

Limomike":1og2mqaa said:
I just got a pure bred registered black angus bull (7months). What suggestions do you have to feed him out to get him to optimum adult size? Let me hear your ideas on how you do it. I had one man tell me to feed him 8lbs 14% creep twice daily, with hay, and of course plenty of water.

If this is going to become a working bull I would put him out to pasture. I do not like to see an overly fat bull anymore than an overfat cow. If you are just adding muscle by feeding him that may be a diferent story. I would still like to know what kind of bull he will become on pasture as that is the type of offspring he will be produceing. This is assumeing you have good quality pasture.

nova, yes, he will become a working bull. He will eventually replace the limousin that I have now. (guess I will have to change my name on here)
We do have excellent pastures, but I dont want to turn him out just yet, because I dont want him to bust out, or run wild on me. I want to tame him down for about a 3 week period before turning him out into a "barn lot" pasture that I have set up with an electric fence.
I was wanting to put some more muscle on him mainly.

If you have a high quality forage that will allow him to meet his growth potential, by all means turn him out.

If not, feed him around 3% of his bodyweight daily so that he has the diet to develop muscle, bone and organs the way he should. I believe it is better for him to have a little extra fat than it is for him to be stunted and deprived.

All these folks that tell you not to feed a bull grain have probably never developed one.

Feeding grain doesn't necessarily make one melt when he starts to work.

They never forget how to, or lose the instinct to graze.

I like my bulls to have at least a 3 lb. WDA minimum at yearling. This way I am somewhat assured he has not been deprived of nutrients during development and has plenty of growth potential in his genetics.

Furthurmore, if he gains well on grain, more than likely he will do the same on grass.

At 7 months he should be about 700 pounds so feed him about 10 pounds on bull ration in the morning and 10 in the evening. Turn him out on some grass if you can. He will be happier and do better if he is with others. I have raised a bull this way by letting him in the pin once a day and feed him 20 pounds once a day. After a few days training he will meet you at the gate every evening so he will be easy to feed alone. After he eats turn him back out.
To start with you may have to catch some cows with him but don't feed the cows just cut them out and then feed the bull. It won't take but 2 or 3 days for them all to learn.

One more thing: If he has been on feed you might start him out on 1.5% body weight and work up to 3% in about 2 weeks. I recomend you buy a bull ration from the local feed store that is about 12 or 13%

I plan on turning him out soon. The reason I have not turned him out earlier is because I got him from another breeder, and didnt want him breaking out of the fenced lot I was putting him in. I also like to feed him to tame him down. I will more than likely put a charge on the hot wire around the lot he is in to get him to respect fences in general.

different perspective

I have been raising angus bulls for over thirty years.

I have never sold a 7 month old bull.

I don't sell any bull until he is at least a year old and developed enough to be ready to breed a few cows and usually they are older than that. Normally fifteen months before we sell any.

why you ask.
several reasons
1. at weaning i am not sure that I can pick out the best bull. if I can not pick them then I can not price them.
2. by developing them to yearlings I know they will have a good start and stand a better chance of doing a good job for the future owner.
3. No one can screw up the development and turn him out with a hundred cows and then bad mouth me because a calf could not breed a hundred cows.
4. by yearling age I have a performance record and can pretty well tell what i have got to sell and give an honest appraisal for the future owner.

Latest posts