Grain Finishing Angus Steers

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454 said:
Bcompton53 said:
I agree with September/october, and also that more time on high energy grain helps marbling a ton. We fed 1/2% of body weight for probably 6 months before bumping up the intake, at around 1000 pound live weight. Meat is wicked good. Bought bulk corn from co-op and that's cheap feed.
Also I wouldn't expect fat deposits now. Additionally finish weight can also depend on frame size and growth potential of each animal.

That's awesome, good to hear some good feedback on some good meat! I booked butcher date for Sept 14th! This will be my first steer raised and butchered. I have so many people asking for beef... time to try to find more to finish out!

That's great! I think the key to our business is more consumer direct sales. Keep it up!

Bcompton53 said:
I fattened out two steers this past year on whole corn and soybean meal and free choice hay. The meat is excellent and it turned out to be a pretty cheap way to feed. Started 6lbs/day of grain, and increase a pound every couple days to 25lbs. Figure 3-3.25/day gain at 25lbs of feed, and 2-2.25lbs/day at 16 pounds. Take your slaughter date and current weight, and figure out how much they need to gain. Shoot for at least a month at 25lbs/day, preferably two months at least

How much of that mix was WSC, and how much SBM?

ksmit454 said:
TexasBred said:
ksmit454 said:
Excellent, thanks!!

A plain ol' horse and mule feed from a reputable company will do you an good job. Just get away from the "cheapest" approach. In the long run it won't be cheapest. Best wishes.

Thanks!
I work at a feed store and get all of the leftover bags that are not horse quality, but are great for cattle (usually just a small amount of wetness or mold at the top of the bag that i'm able to scrape off and give them the good stuff). I have about 20 bags of a particular horse grain and the ingredients are as follows

Primary Ingredients

Beet Pulp Shreds, Soy Hull Pellet, Oat Hay Pellet, Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Canola Oil, Ground Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Yeast Culture (Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Calcium Carbonate, Wheat Flour, Mono-Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Yeast, Salt (Sodium Chloride), Flax Oil, Soy Oil, Vitamins, Minerals…

I do have a few bags of sweet cob that I could mix with it. They seems to eat the horse feed just fine but I'm not sure if their are certain types of feed that will make the meat less desirable.

Looks like a low starch horse feed. Lots of fiber, no grain at all but a bit of grain by-products. Add some corn to it and it won't be bad

VaCowman said:
Bcompton53 said:
I fattened out two steers this past year on whole corn and soybean meal and free choice hay. The meat is excellent and it turned out to be a pretty cheap way to feed. Started 6lbs/day of grain, and increase a pound every couple days to 25lbs. Figure 3-3.25/day gain at 25lbs of feed, and 2-2.25lbs/day at 16 pounds. Take your slaughter date and current weight, and figure out how much they need to gain. Shoot for at least a month at 25lbs/day, preferably two months at least

How much of that mix was WSC, and how much SBM?
I was targeting about 12% protein up to about 1000 pounds, then went to 10, if I remember right. The last month or two straight corn is fine.

TexasBred said:
ksmit454 said:
TexasBred said:
A plain ol' horse and mule feed from a reputable company will do you an good job. Just get away from the "cheapest" approach. In the long run it won't be cheapest. Best wishes.

Thanks!
I work at a feed store and get all of the leftover bags that are not horse quality, but are great for cattle (usually just a small amount of wetness or mold at the top of the bag that i'm able to scrape off and give them the good stuff). I have about 20 bags of a particular horse grain and the ingredients are as follows

Primary Ingredients

Beet Pulp Shreds, Soy Hull Pellet, Oat Hay Pellet, Soybean Meal, Wheat Bran, Canola Oil, Ground Flaxseed, Rice Bran, Yeast Culture (Dried Saccharomyces cerevisiae), Calcium Carbonate, Wheat Flour, Mono-Dicalcium Phosphate, Brewers Yeast, Salt (Sodium Chloride), Flax Oil, Soy Oil, Vitamins, Minerals…

I do have a few bags of sweet cob that I could mix with it. They seems to eat the horse feed just fine but I'm not sure if their are certain types of feed that will make the meat less desirable.

Looks like a low starch horse feed. Lots of fiber, no grain at all but a bit of grain by-products. Add some corn to it and it won't be bad

Wow, you're good! Low starch is correct! I have some other stuff like sweet cob and rolled corn that I can mix. That you for taking the time to look at the ingredients, I appreciate it! You all have been so helpful. It's a little overwhelming the first go around trying to make sure I get it all done right 😃

Latest posts