Angus AI Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new heifer bull, was flipping thru a sale book the other night and a few bulls caught my eye numberswise. Haven't seen them in person, might look terrible but their numbers were within my criteria. There are a couple sons of Baldridge Nebraska 901 and a couple by C A Future Direction 5321, along with one by Sitz Alliance 6595 but I question the use of him (the son) on heifers. Anyone out there have experience with these bulls or care to offer up an opinion? Will be used on cross heifers, mostly angus, herf, gelp influece. Looking for moderate frame and middle of the road numbers, nothing special.

Thanks
cfpinz

I know the guy that bred 111. One of the better FD sons. 6595 himself can be used on heifers, why the concern?

Most of the industry is using In Focus, Solution, or Objective.

As far as the Alliance sons, I used I87 and had BIG (#109) calves from him. This year I used another son WAR alliance 9126, nothing over #80. I am a little concerned on the high milk EPD on 9126, but otherwise his numbers are respectable.

Sinclair Net Present Value is a good bull for heifers. No calving problems and daughters you will want to keep

Why not just use Nebraska 901 I saw daughters in production at Vermillion that were very good and an excellent set of calves at Dalebanks by him. My 901 bred hiefers sure look the part.

My apologies, I should have been clearer.

I was looking through a bull sale catalog in hopes to purchase a new heifer bull. The bulls I am asking about are the sires of the bulls I am interested in. We do not ai, all natural service.

I'd like to find a bull with some older genetics, not too keen on the "Bull of the Day Club". A bull with average epd's, nothing special. Mitty In Focus is the buzzword bull of the day around here, every angus breeder is pushing his sons and those of that type. Not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the responses

cfpinz

cfpinz":350kcrxv said:

I was looking through a bull sale catalog in hopes to purchase a new heifer bull. The bulls I am asking about are the sires of the bulls I am interested in. We do not ai, all natural service.

I'd like to find a bull with some older genetics, not too keen on the "Bull of the Day Club". A bull with average epd's, nothing special. Mitty In Focus is the buzzword bull of the day around here, every angus breeder is pushing his sons and those of that type. Not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the responses

cfpinz

Look at both sides of the pedigree. In fact, take some time to look a bull you're interested in up on the Angus site. Check his pedigree back a couple of generations to see that he doesn't have a cow killer back there somewhere. (link below). Take into consideration what kind of heifers are you breeding? If they're from a hard calving breed, you might want to consider a negative BW EPD bull. Good luck....

http://www.angus.org/registeredangus/

If you are looking for calving ease, I would look at the Nebraska sons pretty well. They are easy calving, which really is coming from Focus. Make sure you look at the bulls themselves to make sure they have the calving ease look.

Cowboyup216, what size heifers did you breed MD 111 to? I have a couple smaller heifers I have thought about breeding him to.

Beef, have you used Net Present Value much? Been thinking of using him on the majority of my heifers this year, about 20 of them. I really like the old Prime Time bull, and NPV's dad is no slouch either.

Frankie":1q80nr37 said:
cfpinz":1q80nr37 said:

Thanks for the responses

cfpinz
that is darned good advice!
"Look at both sides of the pedigree. In fact, take some time to look a bull you're interested in up on the Angus site. Check his pedigree back a couple of generations to see that he doesn't have a cow killer back there somewhere. (link below). Take into consideration what kind of heifers are you breeding? If they're from a hard calving breed, you might want to consider a negative BW EPD bull. Good luck....cfpinz -

Frankie has made a valuable and pragmatic suggestion! This idea of checking BOTH sides of the pedigree is not only good advice - - IN MY OPINION - - it should be a LAW! We "Him Haw around" over 'which bull for this' and 'which bull for that' and discuss which BREED COW'S we are going to breed the bull(s) to, and completely overlook the critically important factor of what the "BULL'S" Dam's Phenotype was, what her Genetype was, how she performed as a Mother, and ignore her 'functional' traits completely. If you will pardon the Pun - - "We Swallow the Bull - - and CHOKE on the tail!!"

All of the contributors to this thread have mentioned some very good potential SIRES! Sires which will produce very acceptable calves - FOR THE MOST PART - assuming that the Sires DAMS are acceptable for your partricular requirements - requirements that incorporate the necessary characteristics and traits that YOUR HERD must have to be successful. You must decide whether you are developing a herd that is "Maternal" in type and purpose - or - "Terminal" in type and purpose, because - to coin a phrase - it is antagonistic to attempt to "Kill Two Birds with One Stone."

Very FEW bulls are Phenotypically and Genetypically capable of doing Yeomen Service by being the progenitor of BOTH TYPES of Beef Cattle - Maternal AND Terminal - and doing Justice to either type. The breeder must decide what protocol he is going to pursue, and then select his seedstock with that type in mind! Don't try to be a 'cat on a tin roof', covering everything at once! Can't be done! Follow one principle or the other with a vengeance, and stick to it! But choose your seedstock carefully, following all the "rules".

DOC HARRIS

DOC HARRIS":2584syhr said:
Frankie":2584syhr said:
cfpinz":2584syhr said:

Thanks for the responses

cfpinz
that is darned good advice!
"Look at both sides of the pedigree. In fact, take some time to look a bull you're interested in up on the Angus site. Check his pedigree back a couple of generations to see that he doesn't have a cow killer back there somewhere. (link below). Take into consideration what kind of heifers are you breeding? If they're from a hard calving breed, you might want to consider a negative BW EPD bull. Good luck....cfpinz -

Frankie has made a valuable and pragmatic suggestion! This idea of checking BOTH sides of the pedigree is not only good advice - - IN MY OPINION - - it should be a LAW! We "Him Haw around" over 'which bull for this' and 'which bull for that' and discuss which BREED COW'S we are going to breed the bull(s) to, and completely overlook the critically important factor of what the "BULL'S" Dam's Phenotype was, what her Genetype was, how she performed as a Mother, and ignore her 'functional' traits completely. If you will pardon the Pun - - "We Swallow the Bull - - and CHOKE on the tail!!"

All of the contributors to this thread have mentioned some very good potential SIRES! Sires which will produce very acceptable calves - FOR THE MOST PART - assuming that the Sires DAMS are acceptable for your partricular requirements - requirements that incorporate the necessary characteristics and traits that YOUR HERD must have to be successful. You must decide whether you are developing a herd that is "Maternal" in type and purpose - or - "Terminal" in type and purpose, because - to coin a phrase - it is antagonistic to attempt to "Kill Two Birds with One Stone."

Very FEW bulls are Phenotypically and Genetypically capable of doing Yeomen Service by being the progenitor of BOTH TYPES of Beef Cattle - Maternal AND Terminal - and doing Justice to either type. The breeder must decide what protocol he is going to pursue, and then select his seedstock with that type in mind! Don't try to be a 'cat on a tin roof', covering everything at once! Can't be done! Follow one principle or the other with a vengeance, and stick to it! But choose your seedstock carefully, following all the "rules".

DOC HARRIS
I guess I'm going to have to read some more "It pays to enrich your word power"

cfpinz":33n7qu7x said:
I'm looking for a new heifer bull, was flipping thru a sale book the other night and a few bulls caught my eye numberswise. Haven't seen them in person, might look terrible but their numbers were within my criteria. There are a couple sons of Baldridge Nebraska 901 and a couple by C A Future Direction 5321, along with one by Sitz Alliance 6595 but I question the use of him (the son) on heifers. Anyone out there have experience with these bulls or care to offer up an opinion? Will be used on cross heifers, mostly angus, herf, gelp influece. Looking for moderate frame and middle of the road numbers, nothing special.

Thanks
cfpinz

Are you just set on an Angus? I think there are some very good animals of other breeds that you would be happy with unless you are just wanting Angus. Just my opinion, I'm not a big Angus fan.

birdog":wc5it9df said:
Are you just set on an Angus? I think there are some very good animals of other breeds that you would be happy with unless you are just wanting Angus. Just my opinion, I'm not a big Angus fan.

Unfortunately, yes, I am set on angus. I'm not the biggest angus fan either but that's what makes the most money locally and fits in my plan. For the most part, the heifers will be 50-100% angus that were home-raised, most around 75%. I want a maternal bull, one which the daughters can be kept and bred to either hereford or gelpvieh (after being bred to angus for their first calf). This way I maintain my own supply of high percentage angus replacements for cross-breeding.

I won't need the bull til this fall, have one now that serves the purpose but he'll have some daughters thrown in the pot this fall. Since November, I've looked at over 300 angus bulls and only 4 have met my criteria looks/numbers-wise. Of those 4, 3 went out of my price range and I just couldn't get myself excited about the other one enough to lay down the cash. It's nice being able to look without having the pressure of needing a bull "yesterday", one can be a lot more picky that way.

Doc - I hope some of your concerns were addressed in that, also.

cfpinz

cfpinz":v6jq12k8 said:
birdog":v6jq12k8 said:

Unfortunately, yes, I am set on angus. I'm not the biggest angus fan either but that's what makes the most money locally and fits in my plan. For the most part, the heifers will be 50-100% angus that were home-raised, most around 75%. I want a maternal bull, one which the daughters can be kept and bred to either hereford or gelpvieh (after being bred to angus for their first calf). This way I maintain my own supply of high percentage angus replacements for cross-breeding.

I won't need the bull til this fall, have one now that serves the purpose but he'll have some daughters thrown in the pot this fall. Since November, I've looked at over 300 angus bulls and only 4 have met my criteria looks/numbers-wise. Of those 4, 3 went out of my price range and I just couldn't get myself excited about the other one enough to lay down the cash. It's nice being able to look without having the pressure of needing a bull "yesterday", one can be a lot more picky that way.

Doc - I hope some of your concerns were addressed in that, also.

cfpinz
R.L.-

Yes, they were! As I read your post above, I realized that you have been organizing your Herd Prospectus VERY well - devoting a lot of time and thought into your focus points! By "Planning Your Work, and Working Your Plan", as you are doing, you will simplify your protocols in the future and save hours of repetitive reiteration.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts