An Ironhide

Help Support CattleToday:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1giyh3vw said:
True Grit Farms":1giyh3vw said:
Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

He is in the top 20% for for STAY, which means his offspring will be around for awhile....
He looks solid...

Fire Sweep Ranch":8vorpuxt said:
True Grit Farms":8vorpuxt said:
Sounds like longevity could be a serious problem. The truth is, only believe half of what you see, and nothing that you hear.

He is in the top 20% for for STAY, which means his offspring will be around for awhile....

Not if he comes up with a false positive test. Are the folks that came up with a false positive test and then dispatched the bull, the same one's that collect and sort semen? If that doesn't smell fishy I don't know what a fish smells like.

Fire Sweep Ranch":15oo3t69 said:
Bright Raven":15oo3t69 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":15oo3t69 said:
He looks good. Did you have several Ironhide calves?

Yes. They all look good. I saw the bull at Genex in Springfield, MO where he was collected. At the time, he was suffering a rupture - type where the intestine enters the scrotum. He has since been put down. Semen is now $50 per straw. I only bought 5 straws but I got 4 calves and one due this fall.
2niadlt.jpg

You are confusing two different bulls Ron. Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He then had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of.
Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of. YES, his semen went up to $50 a straw.

Hope that straightens things up....

How did they know a cow stepped on him? Did someone see it happen or did the cow leave a footprint in his balls?

Ken

True Grit Farms":udhpqqcm said:
Fire Sweep Ranch":udhpqqcm said:
True Grit Farms":udhpqqcm said:

Not if he comes up with a false positive test. Are the folks that came up with a false positive test and then dispatched the bull, the same one's that collect and sort semen? If that doesn't smell fishy I don't know what a fish smells like.

My fine feathered friend, you are duplicating my mistake and confusing two different bulls. Wide Track is the bull who had a scrotal hernia. Quoting Fire Sweep, "Wide Track had a scrotal hernia, after being allowed to live cover cows at Owen Brothers farm. He had a false positive for a genetic disease, which was his death sentence. They later showed it was a false positive, but he had already been disposed of." That bull has no connection to Ironhide and that part of this thread would not have been posted if I had not mistakenly thought that was Ironhide. If that is a kettle of fish, so be it. It has NOTHING to do with Ironhide.

The line on Ironhide is "Iron Hide was out with cows in the fall, and his scrotum got stepped on. When they went to collect him at Genex, they discovered his injury and could not get anything out of him. He has been disposed of."
Quoting Fire Sweep.

The data cited as top 20 % for STAY is for Ironhide not Wide Track.

Well whatever, he didn't get the job done is all that matters. They assumed his scrotum got stepped on is what it sounds like to me. I know nothing of the bull besides he looked like a excellent specimen, and he didn't work out and is now deceased.
What does a top 20% for STAY mean when he's dead?

True Grit Farms":3g1bl5p5 said:
Well whatever, he didn't get the job done is all that matters. They assumed his scrotum got stepped on is what it sounds like to me. I know nothing of the bull besides he looked like a excellent specimen, and he didn't work out and is now deceased.

TG I have the same question about several former AI sires. They have good longtivity EPD's but are dead before they turn 5. But I'm beginning to wonder if many don't feel 5 for a bull and maybe 6-7 for a cow is longtivity.

True Grit Farms":3sdq167r said:

I assume they could put it on his tombstone:

Here lies Ironhide. He was in the top 20 % for STAY.

Lol

elkwc":1ll0u6m4 said:
True Grit Farms":1ll0u6m4 said:

TG I have the same question about several former AI sires. They have good longtivity EPD's but are dead before they turn 5. But I'm beginning to wonder if many don't feel 5 for a bull and maybe 6-7 for a cow is longtivity.

I'm wondering if the collection process has something to do with longevity of AI bulls? And I also wonder if getting bulls semen tested yearly might not be such a good idea? My neighbor has some of my bulls that are over 9 years old and are expected to cover 40+ head each, they have only been semen tested once at 14 months.

Bright Raven":2qzl2sd1 said:
True Grit Farms":2qzl2sd1 said:

Lol
There's countless numbers of good AI bulls deceased at young ages.

True Grit Farms":25y4cnzs said:
Bright Raven":25y4cnzs said:
True Grit Farms":25y4cnzs said:

Lol

On the other hand, there were a lot of AI bulls that it seemed like they were in collection forever. I suspect someone has written an assessment.

Bright Raven":brybchb2 said:
True Grit Farms":brybchb2 said:
Bright Raven":brybchb2 said:

Lol

On the other hand, there were a lot of AI bulls that it seemed like they were in collection forever. I suspect someone has written an assessment.

What kind of birth weights did you get using Irionhide?

True Grit Farms":f84c4x4i said:
Bright Raven":f84c4x4i said:
True Grit Farms":f84c4x4i said:

High. That calf was in the nineties. Of the four average about 92 pounds. But then again, my overall average is 87.

Bright Raven":3hyb29rz said:
True Grit Farms":3hyb29rz said:
Bright Raven":3hyb29rz said:

Lol

I know of a few. The ones I have followed are mainly Hereford and Angus sires. 3027 is one that lasted a longtime. But as TB stated there has been many of the high priced, highly promoted sires that haven't made it to 5-6 years old. Various reasons. But it seems the longtivity on a AI sire many times is less than I desire. I know some breeders have found their progeny to be the same way. Can't comment about Simmi sires as I haven't followed them.

Bright Raven":1zm9gxoa said:
True Grit Farms":1zm9gxoa said:
Bright Raven":1zm9gxoa said:

High. That calf was in the nineties. Of the four average about 92 pounds. But then again, my overall average is 87.
Thanks, he sure was a nice looking bull. Being sorta tied into SS I don't ever look at any bulls they don't carry.

True Grit Farms":1ox2y69w said:
Bright Raven":1ox2y69w said:
True Grit Farms":1ox2y69w said:

Thanks, he sure was a nice looking bull. Being sorta tied into SS I don't ever look at any bulls they don't carry.

I like SS but Genex has some good Simi bulls. I like Cowboy Cut, Elevate. SS has HPF OPTIMIZER probably my favorite right now.

elkwc":1petiz8d said:
Bright Raven":1petiz8d said:
True Grit Farms":1petiz8d said:

I know of a few. The ones I have followed are mainly Hereford and Angus sires. 3027 is one that lasted a longtime. But as TB stated there has been many of the high priced, highly promoted sires that haven't made it to 5-6 years old. Various reasons. But it seems the longtivity on a AI sire many times is less than I desire. I know some breeders have found their progeny to be the same way. Can't comment about Simmi sires as I haven't followed them.

I wonder if it is related to how they are handled.

Bright Raven":c661h8jt said:
elkwc":c661h8jt said:
Bright Raven":c661h8jt said:

BR I've often wondered that myself. I have never been around a stud station like that so don't know how they handle them. Most you see are always fat. I do know in the Angus breed a few of the AI sires have got progeny that haven't held up in our area.

True Grit Farms":34k1onik said:
Bright Raven":34k1onik said:
True Grit Farms":34k1onik said:

We had 74 to 85 lbs birth weights with him. Less than our normal.

elkwc":3bs3y193 said:
Bright Raven":3bs3y193 said:
elkwc":3bs3y193 said:

BR I've often wondered that myself. I have never been around a stud station like that so don't know how they handle them. Most you see are always fat. I do know in the Angus breed a few of the AI sires have got progeny that haven't held up in our area.

I have been to the Genex Facility in Springfield. Bulls lay around in small stalls. They keep them fat to look good. Cannot be healthy. I also have seen a couple stud bulls, i.e., Remington Lock N Load at the farm. They are also sheltered and kept fat.

elkwc":3q1xj5y0 said:
Bright Raven":3q1xj5y0 said:
elkwc":3q1xj5y0 said:

The pictures are fat, the facilities i have toured fed what the bulls needed to produce semen. No more. I couldn't recognize a bull that I was using.

Latest posts