An article for inbred re: ethanol

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

And geephus too ;-)

Alternative to Ethanol?
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012...ve-to-ethanol/

With its ability to attract moisture and clog fuel filters, it's no wonder America's boaters have not been thrilled with ethanol in gasoline, which today is most commonly found as a 10 percent blend and known as E10 at the gas pump. Because of the problems associated with ethanol fuel in marine engines, the Boat Owners Association of the United States (more commonly known as BoatUS) is suggesting butanol as a possible alternative fuel additive in modern engines.

America's desire for renewable fuels is growing, but recent Department of Energy tests on boat engines showed that increasing the amount of ethanol to 15 percent doesn't work for boats. While higher ethanol content has been approved by the EPA for 2001 and newer cars and light trucks, E15 is not legal to use in boats and other gas-powered equipment. Boat Owners Association of The United States (BoatUS) suggests that butanol, an alcohol with a characteristic banana-like odor typically made from corn and beet byproducts, may be an answer.

Unlike ethanol, butanol is less corrosive, doesn't attract moisture which can cause harmful "phase separation" of the fuel, and can be mixed in ahead of time and shipped through existing pipelines. It has a higher energy value (110,000 Btu per gallon versus ethanol's 84,000 Btu), and is safer because its flammability is similar to diesel fuel. So why aren't America's boaters, motorists and gas-powered tool and toy owners using butanol?

"Part of the answer is how the stuff is–or was–made," wrote BoatUS Seaworthy Magazine Editor and Damage Avoidance Expert Bob Adriance. He says, "Back in the 1980s when the government was looking at biofuels, the cost to produce butanol was much higher than ethanol. Congress also gave ethanol a head start 30 years ago with a subsidy to produce it from corn. However, the subsidy is now expired and new technologies have made the costs to produce both fuels similar, although butanol is ultimately far less expensive to produce in terms of the amount of energy delivered per gallon.

"With its new cost competitiveness and energy advantages, butanol could be a biofuel that boaters embrace," said Adriance. "However, we need to find out more about any potential long-term effects, and would need to overcome the not-too-insignificant reality of ethanol's financial and political momentum in the market today."

Experience hook, after you and the rest of America have what we in MN have been forced into for the last 20 years we can talk. I'm begining to think you fellas are doing something wrong down there. Even us dumb rednecks that don't know squat don't wreck near as much stuff with fuel as you do.

hooknline":39ebydqm said:
Must be doing something real wrong for the DOE to know how bad we are
its an oxygenate hook leave it at that, your trying to make something it is not.

Just thought you would like some outside verification of a subject we've discussed before. You're a fan of hard info and facts after all.

Well I'm against the forced use of a product that causes damage to my belongings and against any product that gets gvt subsidies. But that's just me

hooknline":pg90fx7a said:
Well I'm against the forced use of a product that causes damage to my belongings and against any product that gets gvt subsidies. But that's just me

Well you probably already know, but the FAA has banned the use of ethanol laced fuel in piston aircraft for the reasons you describe. Imagine that, one gov agency forcing us to use it, and another banning its use. I've seen the effects of ethanol on fuel systems. Not a good thing

They must be doing something wrong too. People up in Mn must all be geniuses because they aren't having any problems

hooknline":3lnthyaq said:
They must be doing something wrong too. People up in Mn must all be geniuses because they aren't having any problems

There might be a reasonable explaination for why they don't have as many problems with it. Cooler and dryer climates. You're down there where the humidity is always high. When you pump 58 degree fuel out of a ground tank, into your tank, when the outside air temp is 90, and the humidity is 90%...........
Same thing happens up north, and out west, just not nearly as fast.

Ouachita":1hhyannr said:
hooknline":1hhyannr said:

Well you probably already know, but the FAA has banned the use of ethanol laced fuel in piston aircraft for the reasons you describe. Imagine that, one gov agency forcing us to use it, and another banning its use. I've seen the effects of ethanol on fuel systems. Not a good thing
I'd like to read about this ban, could you link me to that from the FAA website?

Ouachita":2qwm1of8 said:
hooknline":2qwm1of8 said:

There might be a reasonable explaination for why they don't have as many problems with it. Cooler and dryer climates. You're down there where the humidity is always high. When you pump 58 degree fuel out of a ground tank, into your tank, when the outside air temp is 90, and the humidity is 90%...........
Same thing happens up north, and out west, just not nearly as fast.
That would makes sense if orlando had a higher RH than MN but it doesn't.

Inbred I did a search to verify the FAA ban and it appears to be true. Although I can't find any direct FAA links to info readily

hooknline":28kabn7k said:
Inbred I did a search to verify the FAA ban and it appears to be true. Although I can't find any direct FAA links to info readily
Imagine that.

It's not exactly easy to do a full search on a phone. Let us know when you find it.

hooknline":3pabhc1b said:
It's not exactly easy to do a full search on a phone. Let us know when you find it.
I don't doubt it hook, many things used in motorgas can't be any part of aviation gas. Just messin with ya. Sir loin didn't want to.

Latest posts