Am thoroughly confused now

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
I enjoyed the good information that came out about grassfed cattle in Tncattle's thread and learned a lot from it .... or I thought I did until I just picked up a cooking magazine that gives tips to the consumer on how to purchase meat and now I'm a bit confused.

They begin by discussing the USDA's grading system and that is pretty straight forward. I get that about dry aging and wet aging but get a little confused on the rest when they go into the Natural, Ash-Free, Certified Organic, Certified Humane, 100% grass fed.

According to the article ASH-free beef comes from cattle raised outside confinements without antibiotics, steroids and hormones. We have a law that states I must confine my livestock to my property so I guess I can't grow this brand and the Humane Society would have a fit with me if I didn't treat the sick ones with whatever antibiotics were appropriate and quite honestly I think it would be cruel of me if I didn't. So I guess this throws me out of this market.

The article states that the certified organic cattle cannot be fed anything nonorganic and cannot be fed grasses from fertilized pastures and all handlers and processors must be certified organic. I like the idea of not using fertilizer but I doubt this would work too well when the army worms come in the fall and begin eating up the grass. Also it appears my cattle hauler isn't too keen on getting another licence or certification so he can haul my organic cattle. So I'm left out here too it appears.

But maybe I can get the Certified Humane Stamp which requires me to use good husbandry of livestock and animals must have access to clean food and water, protection from harsh weather and sufficient space to move naturally. I think I meet all these requirements but there again is that pesky state law requiring me to keep them under fence cause we all know that cows naturally are going to head for the blacktop. (of course I'm a little confused on what harsh is. Cows did fine last night in the cold but it would have been pretty harshe weather for me had I been out there with them. So whose opinion do you use?)

My last hope is the 100% Grassfed. According to the article these "animals are fed grain until they they mature then they are switched to and all grass diet" to be finished. I didn't know this but it sure explains a lot that I've seen. Since I don't feed my calves grain I guess I can't do this either.

Anyone just raising good beef?

Jogee...peers to me you're gonna have to start buying up property. Get enough that "IF" a cow starts walking to any side of your "spread" she'll die of old age before she gets there. No fences needed.

Get yourself of those cow-in-a-can calls, rig a contraption that keeps turning it. This will have all cows running right to it, and then there will be no need for fences. You may be able to rig up a second one with the calf-in-a-can calls. Put that one on the other side of the field, and all the cows for miles will come thundering in, and keep running back and forth between the calls.
:banana:

vclavin":1xn586sf said:
I like that fed grain and then a 100% grass diet. Didn't know that made them 100% grass fed. Tricky wording. Did a lawyer write that?
Valerie

I believe there is a lot of confusion out there.

Hooknline, I thought those only worked for deer. ;-)

Jogeephus":2g6uqo8o said:
I enjoyed the good information that came out about grassfed cattle in Tncattle's thread and learned a lot from it .... or I thought I did until I just picked up a cooking magazine that gives tips to the consumer on how to purchase meat and now I'm a bit confused.

They begin by discussing the USDA's grading system and that is pretty straight forward. I get that about dry aging and wet aging but get a little confused on the rest when they go into the Natural, Ash-Free, Certified Organic, Certified Humane, 100% grass fed.

According to the article ASH-free beef comes from cattle raised outside confinements without antibiotics, steroids and hormones. We have a law that states I must confine my livestock to my property so I guess I can't grow this brand and the Humane Society would have a fit with me if I didn't treat the sick ones with whatever antibiotics were appropriate and quite honestly I think it would be cruel of me if I didn't. So I guess this throws me out of this market.

The article states that the certified organic cattle cannot be fed anything nonorganic and cannot be fed grasses from fertilized pastures and all handlers and processors must be certified organic. I like the idea of not using fertilizer but I doubt this would work too well when the army worms come in the fall and begin eating up the grass. Also it appears my cattle hauler isn't too keen on getting another licence or certification so he can haul my organic cattle. So I'm left out here too it appears.

But maybe I can get the Certified Humane Stamp which requires me to use good husbandry of livestock and animals must have access to clean food and water, protection from harsh weather and sufficient space to move naturally. I think I meet all these requirements but there again is that pesky state law requiring me to keep them under fence cause we all know that cows naturally are going to head for the blacktop. (of course I'm a little confused on what harsh is. Cows did fine last night in the cold but it would have been pretty harshe weather for me had I been out there with them. So whose opinion do you use?)

My last hope is the 100% Grassfed. According to the article these "animals are fed grain until they they mature then they are switched to and all grass diet" to be finished. I didn't know this but it sure explains a lot that I've seen. Since I don't feed my calves grain I guess I can't do this either.

You are absolutely correct Jo, it is impossible, with all your army worms and sick cattle everywhere... I hope everyone has this attitude so my customers have to continue driving hours to pay a premium for our beef raised the way they want it to be... :)

Jogeephus":3vnmpqcd said:

Dang I would love to just have the armyworms. I got grasshoppers and fireants out the wahzoo and almost forgot town ants that have to be controlled as well. I'm out I guess.

Dang I would love to just have the armyworms. I got grasshoppers and fireants out the wahzoo and almost forgot town ants that have to be controlled as well. I'm out I guess.[/quote]

I BET I CAN GUESS WHERE YOU LIVE!

KMacGinley":wyqleurb said:
You are absolutely correct Jo, it is impossible, with all your army worms and sick cattle everywhere... I hope everyone has this attitude so my customers have to continue driving hours to pay a premium for our beef raised the way they want it to be...

Don't have many sick cattle but I don't have a problem treating them if they get sick. How do you deal with it. It must be nice not to have to have fences to confine your cattle. I'm envious. ;-)

Has there ever been any real indication that eating all this designer beef is actually better for you than the good stuff? Or is it pretty much just a fad kind of thing?

Don't know and don't really care. I know goat meat is better for me than beef but I prefer beef. But I do know that under the FDA laws you can make any claim you wish as long as you don't list a specific ailment. This is probably why Jo's Kosher Bacon is such a success. It does afterall have up to 80% less saturated fat and calories than normal non kosher bacon.

What I tried to do with this thread was point out how confused the press is with all these options. I thought the article was amusing and there is a lot of subjectivity in the article's wording. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Jim62":249pqeyf said:
Has there ever been any real indication that eating all this designer beef is actually better for you than the good stuff? Or is it pretty much just a fad kind of thing?
Jim the current "official" opinion seems to be that if it doesn't have fins, feathers or taste like shyt then it's bad for you. Thus I'm not eating much healthy stuff these days. ;-)

a few good points are made, and its ridiculous to try and live up to everyone's standards... I think the best point that's made is that this 100% grass fed beef is fed grain and finished on grass...

is there any certifying body that doesn't shoot themselves in the foot?
organic is *USELESS*... we've been certified organic 15 years, and the last 5 years we gave up on it, we do have the certifier come and inspect us, but its pointless since most of our animals go through the sale barn. Also, the organic standards are plummeting so fast even Obama's ratings have trouble keeping up.
whenever we need antibiotics on a cow, she's removed from the "organic" list.. over the last 2 years none have needed any, but sometimes you can't avoid it
then you have what could be good, the grassfed program.. but then you see they (allow at least) grain feeding...

Humane.. just an appeal to people's egos... the food is not better.. and then who's to define humane? our place may have things left to be desired sometimes... when things warm up everything is muddy for a couple weeks.. what can you do? so they cows are dirty for a bit... but if anyone actually comes around and takes a look, they come running to me.. I do my vaccination without a horse, chute, or squeeze...
To some people they may think that keeping the cows out when it's -25C with no shelter is cruel.. our cows have a good coat and they don't mind it at all, they don't even need much more food... when it's just above freezing and pouring rain they are much worse off

ASH free
this sounds like organic, except it doesn't matter how many pesticices the food they they are fed was grown with

I think it has to come down to all certifications becoming so evidently useless that the consumer has to actually just go out and see for himself how his food is grown and decide for himself what is acceptable. Few people actually care enough about their beliefs to do it, they're too lazy or they don't *actually* care, just want to look like they do to their friends

so Jog, it's up to you to tell me if you like my beef... look at the beautiful scenery they get to look at :p
I think I just raise "good" beef...

I could say more....

Jim62":1ch4nf90 said:
Only info I have found so far is "high" quality beef is good for you and the lesser is not.
Valerie

well, I'm against "designer" anything.. but I do believe that beef wtih less chemicals, etc in it is better.. basically the way beef was grown 100 years ago was the healthy way, same goes for other food products

Nesikep":25isiljv said:
so Jog, it's up to you to tell me if you like my beef... look at the beautiful scenery they get to look at
I think I just raise "good" beef...

I think you need to post some more pictures of your area before I can give you a definitive answer but for the time being based on what I've seen I'd say you'd be hard pressed to get me away from a table if one of your steaks were sitting on my plate. Ok, maybe a tire iron would work but not much short of that would make me leave.

Most people who are going to want these niche products are going to be in urban and suburban environments, and what they are really saying is that they don't want factory raised meat and they likely have the income to pay a little more to soothe their conscience. If you take the time to understand your customers, and help educate the consumer on how cattle can effectively be raised, it could be a market differentiator for a smaller producer.

the point the consumer has to realize is that unless they are willing to do research themselves, and certification, etc etc, can be full of fine print and downright deceptions

I haven't really confirmed this, but here's one example
McDonalds said "100% pure beef patties" on their big mac's.. leaving out the fact they don't say what part of the beef (lips and a***oles anyone?) the patty is made of, I heard that "100% pure beef" was a Trademark, which means it might as well have been branded "100% Snapper Lawnmower", since just because a tradename makes an allusion to quality ("Quality used auto parts Ltd"), doesn't have to reflect on the actual product

I've already said organic standards are going downhill, I'll leave that alone, just adding that current organic producers (the ones that just meet the current standards) are definitely riding on the coattails of the founders of the idea

Nesikep":1ejs11ji said:
McDonalds said "100% pure beef patties" on their big mac's.. leaving out the fact they don't say what part of the beef (lips and a***oles anyone?) the patty is made of
From Snopes:

check out the ingredient lists on the McDonald's web site. All of their hamburgers are made from
"100% beef patties"; furthermore, they define "beef patty" as being "100% pure USDA inspected beef; no additives, no fillers, no extenders." This means exactly what it says. When the USDA grades beef, it grades beef — it doesn't allow beef marketers to use the word as if it merely meant "cow parts."

Latest posts