automatic waterers are now froze

Help Support CattleToday:

bball":qd3zocfu said:
I think the fella that invented those did so over in Iowa.. I know it gets dam cold in the northern half of that state come winter...one year in Iowa was more than enough for me.

I remember my first trip to North Dakota. It was springtime in Denver but it was still winter in North Dakota.

Here in Kansas by belhen (however it is spelled) all froze up. Very badly. Only ones that didn't freeze were the concrete ones in the ground that are constantly circulating water down a drain. These are on ponds, not water line. I'm interested in those cobbetts. I would rather chop ice on the pond than deal with frozen waterers. It has been unusually cold here. One night was -9, several around zero

I forgot to mention, I have a few pastures with the mirafount and some with behlen. The mirafounts never completely froze. I had to stomp the ball a few mornings, but nothing like the behlen. Valve kept freezing. I ended up raising the float up some where the balls would push up with more pressure. Also, we had about 4" of snow so I pilled up a bunch around the tank to help Insulate. It did not freeze that night got down to -2 and 30mph winds. If anyone has any tips to help freeze proof them please share. No electric at most spots

Most of you who have Mirafounts probably already know this, but it is important to set the water level such that the balls never seat in the holes, a quarter inch gap all the way around the circumference of the ball is about optimum.

Silver - I have never heard that, and it is just the opposite for me. If a little junk of ice gets wedged and the ball does not seat properly, my water will freeze, because it lets the wind in. Yes, the balls can get frozen, but most of the mature cows can break them free by themselves. Under sever conditions, we have had to pop them loose, but the water is nice & clear. And yes, this is with a heater inside and it is a 6 hole tank.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ga4tl08 said:
Silver - I have never heard that, and it is just the opposite for me. If a little junk of ice gets wedged and the ball does not seat properly, my water will freeze, because it lets the wind in. Yes, the balls can get frozen, but most of the mature cows can break them free by themselves. Under sever conditions, we have had to pop them loose, but the water is nice & clear. And yes, this is with a heater inside and it is a 6 hole tank.

The problem is that if the balls fully seat, the water that falls off the cows mouth and the water on the ball run down the sides of the ball as far as the seal and freeze the ball to the seal. It doesn't take but a few minutes when it's cold. We don't heat ours, but only have a 2 hole tank, and when we use it it waters a good number of cows.
I don't know how many cows you have on your tank, but if the water is able to freeze in the tank like you say you probably have way more tank than is best for your numbers, so sealing the balls may be your only choice.

Yes, that is my problem. It is a 6 hole and only a portion of my herd can access this tank. One group can access 3 holes and another group gets the other 3. As I get more calves, their will be more drinking out of it.
And you are soooo right about the water dripping off the cows mouth freezing immediately. Generally, they can pop it open, but we check it each morning.

Latest posts