alyce clove for summer pastures?

Help Support CattleToday:

I will share a fiasco that I had with clovers. I ordered Alice clover, a $1000 worth of seed and when the shipment arrived the label stated Alyce. I called the supplier and he told me I had the correct clover and that the pronunciation and spelling were incorrect. His pronunciation of Alyce was the same as Alice. My plan to seed the Alice was to frost seed and I went ahead. Needless to say the Alyce was a complete failure. With the failure I did some further research and found out that indeed I had the wrong clover and that Alyce should have been planted in May. I called the supplier and he in turn called his wholeseller and got the same incorrect pronunciation and spelling spiel. My complaints were enough that between my source and his supplier I got satisfaction and replacement correct seed. I did manage to get samples of the Alyce from some seed that was left in the seeder and I compared the two. I was more pleased with the Alice but if you are going to plant in grass plant on the low side of the seeding rate. The second year of the Alice it nearly overwhelmed the fescue. I may be hard to believe but too much clover is worse than too little IMO and in my area.

sportster it makes good cow feed but is hard to get established. I planted 30 acres year before last in a newly established bermuda grass field just to have some income off the field for the year. It took several weeks for it to germinate and when it did I had hairy indigo come up also and there was no way to kill the indigo without killing the alyce clover. Still made some good cow feed just not quite what I had hoped for.

Thanks for th feed back. I probally try a few acres first and continue planting pearl millet.

Latest posts