Alternative crops

Help Support CattleToday:

I just assumed that Medic's original post was made in jest; my earlier response to him sure was. :shock:

Do any of you Texans or southerners (or your spouses) grow Texas Star Hibiscus? It's probably also known throughout the region as "rose mallow". Makes a beautiful red and very large single hibiscus-type flower, but the plant itself looks very much like Mary Jane. The first time I spied my mom's Texas Star's growing in containers on the porch I was quite surprised and paranoid. Sure reminded me of some plants I had seen others growing in their little patio gardens back in Austin in the early 1970's. I understand that from time to time even now the legit gardeners and plant enthusiasts have a lot of explaining to do to the cops, if the cops see the plant before it sets blooms.

Arnold Ziffle":20187tmd said:
I just assumed that Medic's original post was made in jest; my earlier response to him sure was. :shock:

Do any of you Texans or southerners (or your spouses) grow Texas Star Hibiscus? It's probably also known throughout the region as "rose mallow". Makes a beautiful red and very large single hibiscus-type flower, but the plant itself looks very much like Mary Jane. The first time I spied my mom's Texas Star's growing in containers on the porch I was quite surprised and paranoid. Sure reminded me of some plants I had seen others growing in their little patio gardens back in Austin in the early 1970's. I understand that from time to time even now the legit gardeners and plant enthusiasts have a lot of explaining to do to the cops, if the cops see the plant before it sets blooms.

Yep and Rose of Sharon's

There's enough rectal/ cranial inversion around without legalizing dope.
There's an operation to help solve this problem.It's called a windasectomy.It,s where you go to the ole' doc and he inserts a window into your stomach so you can see where your going when you got this inverson problem. :lol:

jerry27150":1ts3nu0i said:
if you grow this stuff you will have to some day explain it to the lord

I agree, being a god-fearing person such as myself I would never grow it and sell it.

All this reminds me of the episode of Sanford and Son, where Grady thinks that marijauna plants are wild parsley. He makes a salad out of it and gives it to the cops to get rid of the evidence....lol

Cattle Rack Rancher":2l1htv5b said:
I think there IS a new type of "no THC" weed out there that can be grown called hemp. If it makes the grade, it can make you money as a "cloth crop" like cotton - I think there is a university somewhere in south U.S. of A. studying the feed value.

Shows what I kow - all I have written is simply based upon rumour.

Apparently it grows like wildfire and has the potential to triple feed amounts. Be a bear to dry and bale - probably have to silage it.

There was talk a few years ago about a hemp processing plant going up in Dauphin so lots of guys in this area were growing it. They do bale it. I figured a guy could grow a cash crop in the headlands but apparently they do come out and randomly inspect the plants to make sure you are growing the no 'THC' varieties.

C.R.R

They was a few guys went tits up growing hemp up here..they grew a awesome crop but they did not get to market it.

The yr they grew it up here about mid Aug ... a buddy and I are in our favorite watering hole having a few cold ones.... the local old drunk comes in staggers up to us .....and sayes boys you won,t believe this i found this big field of marijuana right out in the open..i,m gonna be rich...poor old boy though he found a gold mine :lol2: :lol2:

You don't need to hide it. Plant it right beside the road and round bale it when it is ready. It will be so obvious nobody will see it. Load up a flatbed and take it to the closest major city. The sniffer dogs will have died of sensory overload an hour before you get there. Then buy a tropical island!

Just to clear up the confusion it's "Ganja". Fed authorities here will take ya land and ANYTHING that is on it, including ya kids, if ya try ta supplement ya income with that stuff and they catch ya. ;-) Much better ta be free ta come and go in the poorhouse :D

george

travisirwin":3aj47fhr said:
You don't need to hide it. Plant it right beside the road and round bale it when it is ready. It will be so obvious nobody will see it. Load up a flatbed and take it to the closest major city. The sniffer dogs will have died of sensory overload an hour before you get there. Then buy a tropical island!
Travis-You really need to cut back. Didn't I see you in a Cheech and Chong movie about 20-25 years ago?

I don't partake of the stuff! I just thought it would be a good idea for alternative agriculture. You know, those niche markets that everyone talks about!
I stick to Molsons!

Ahhhh yes, some folks have me figured out, my comments of course were made in jest, as many of my reply's here are, (with the exception of cattle health, of which I take very seriously)

My round about point here was and is, not that our local law enforcement no longer thinks that weed is not criminal, but as several have figured out, we are being inundated with meth, and the labs that make it, yes mostly located in rural areas such as ours. The point he was making, as well, as I, was simply that there aren't enuff law enforcement personel to go around, so, one must now pick priorities, much like the big cities have been doing for years, small and petty crimes vs. notorious crime. etc.

Shame :cry:

I will say here in our County, it's all taken seriously,Pot, Meth, theft, It can't all be stopped totally, but they will lock your A$$ up.

Two local idiots were arrested here a few days ago for trying to steal anhydrous to make meth. They were using cut off gallon milk jugs trying to hold them in front of the tank valve to "catch" the stuff as it came out. For those who have no experience with anhydrous,it is only in a liquid state when under pressure or if it is extremely cold-like 40 something below zero. Otherwise it flashes to a vapor. It is also a huge inhalation hazard. The morons are lucky they aren't dead.

Latest posts