Alternative livestock economics

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucky_P":3g0f2xhs said:
Around here, you'd get *maybe* a 2-yr 'honeymoon' period before the worms started killing off your goats/sheep in a major way... IF you managed to find any that weren't already harboring a population of worms that weren't already resistant to everything available... and after that, culling for parasite resistance would mainly entail dragging off the deads...

Then, there's the fencing issue...

YIKES!!!!!!

Lucky_P":30rgumu2 said:
Around here, you'd get *maybe* a 2-yr 'honeymoon' period before the worms started killing off your goats/sheep in a major way... IF you managed to find any that weren't already harboring a population of worms that weren't already resistant to everything available... and after that, culling for parasite resistance would mainly entail dragging off the deads...

Then, there's the fencing issue...

I worked for a man that had sheep and Black Angus cattle.... still have nightmares to this day. I never doctored, and worked, and buried, and babied, and doctored so much in my life. I don't care if they pay you in gold bars... no dice here. :hide:

Lol. My first experience was definitely a trial by fire with a u shaped learning curve. The flock I keep now couldn't be killed with a hammer lol. Starting small with an acclimated group would be my best advice to lower risks.

Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

I'm not here to sell anybody on them and won't deny that they are NOT easy money. I'm sure there's a reason John Wayne didn't have any lol.

Muddy":2t4gswbw said:
Predator issues is the reason why I didn't get in sheep/goat business. Everything likes a fresh lamb or a young goat kid.

I have no shortage of eagles, coyotes, bears, and mountain lions with wolves on the way. So if the parasites and disease doesn't get them the predators will. I have a friend with a few sheep. Bald Eagles got 17 lambs last spring. Shooting a Bald Eagle is frowned on.

Yea I sell hair sheep and goats every weekend... I personally do really well on hogs too roasting size. Avg weekend I will sell 7-10 animals. Oh yea trimming hooves is not fun...

Took this last night while feeding them.. They are some weird creatures

IMG_20160919_201702411_zpsav5g26az.jpg

RanchMan90":iy6ozskv said:
Do you direct market them sky?

Ad up in tractor supply but wife's a RN and when I go visit they know we farm and lots of ethnic folks out in orders for just meat some come out and slaughter. I have decided to build something for folks to process the animals they buy if lawyer says I can do so without liability .. Thanks Jo for the suggestion.

That's what got me hooked on them was direct marketing to the ethnic market, lots of that in TX with lots shipped to the east coast. Is that your maternal herd or stockers sky?

RanchMan90":2v7pgb8k said:
That's what got me hooked on them was direct marketing to the ethnic market, lots of that in TX with lots shipped to the east coast. Is that your maternal herd or stockers sky?

Stockers... One of the folks that buys feed from me had around 700 goats and sheep I buy from him.

RanchMan90":2vjtriza said:
With the cattle cycle at a current low and the sheep/goat market being pretty strong I thought it may be worth considering. I always keep a few around and they are a bigger part of the livestock industry in central/West Texas where my family is from. Stocking rate is 7:1 to that of cattle and I cull strictly on parasite resistance which has been a stumbling block in my humid climate. I generally figure on a 150% crop annually, breeding for 3 crops every 2 years and 50% twins. So for every calf I could raise 10 lambs/kids. Current market price is $2-2.50 per lb with 10 head weighing in @ 600-700 lbs. Input costs are very low but infrastructure such as fence is higher. Input on any other species also welcome.
Most of us would only have to have a change of attitude to make this a successful venture. I know quite a few folks that run sheep and goats and wouldn't have a cow on the place. Definitely something to consider. Did have a friend that got involved in it and was doing pretty well until he got hooked up with a "camel jock" sheep and goat trader who took him for a cleaning. Guess those folks are not limited to the cattle business.

Latest posts