Alfalfa Hay advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Isomade

Reaction score
Well things are bad here as they are for many of us. I am short on hay and looking at options. I have a line on some Alfalfa hay but all the grass hay I have will be gone before winter. My question is can I winter cows on alfalfa alone? It's 18% protien. I fed a little Alfalfa hay a few years ago but I limit fed it with grass hay. I don't have much experience with the stuff and any advice would be appreciated.

You can feed the alfalfa just like grass hay, but you really need to drop the intake bake to 20 -25#/ day to be affordable. I would suggest feeding it along with the grass hay. 1 to 1 ratio or 2 to 1 ratio of grass bales to alfalfa depending on the quality of the grass. If the cows or calves start getting too loose from too much protein you will need to dilute it further. several guys feed cornstalk bales with alfalfa.

IL cow man":8pkpt7z1 said:
You can feed the alfalfa just like grass hay, but you really need to drop the intake bake to 20 -25#/ day to be affordable. I would suggest feeding it along with the grass hay. 1 to 1 ratio or 2 to 1 ratio of grass bales to alfalfa depending on the quality of the grass. If the cows or calves start getting too loose from too much protein you will need to dilute it further. several guys feed cornstalk bales with alfalfa.
I won't have any grass hay. Can I make it thru the winter just limit feeding the alfalfa?

Isomade":3p0y0nor said:
IL cow man":3p0y0nor said:
I won't have any grass hay. Can I make it thru the winter just limit feeding the alfalfa?
No reason you can;t we did it for 20 years in ca. Alfala is about the only thing available out there

dun":2rb3wsoj said:
Isomade":2rb3wsoj said:
IL cow man":2rb3wsoj said:
No reason you can;t we did it for 20 years in ca. Alfala is about the only thing available out there
Thank you sir.

Latest posts