Alberta finished beef pricing

Help Support CattleToday:

Dlh

Reaction score
Any one in Alberta selling grain finished beef. I have two heifers to sell that have been on grain for 120 days waiting on the butcher. Not sure what to sell them for on the rail. Was thinking $4 a pound.
Two year old black angus

If I was selling on the rail and covering the kill cost it would be priced at $5/lb, wholesale box beef is right around $3/lb usd. Don't be afraid to pencil in a profit everyone else does.

was going to let them cover kill cost and all processing. was thinking 4.50 a pound, just didn't want to get to high. a lot of people don't see the value, just initial cost. thanks for the info

Any one in Alberta selling grain finished beef. I have two heifers to sell that have been on grain for 120 days waiting on the butcher. Not sure what to sell them for on the rail. Was thinking $4 a pound.
Two year old black angus
Opportunity cost for me I figure is $4lb, if I sold it at auction. Would have to sell it for a bit more if it was to an individual. No feed and I figure it would cost me that much. The steers I butcher for myself could probably buy the ground beef for the same price at the store but come out ahead on the steaks etc….

Wait, I'm confused. Are you saying that if you sold live fat cattle at an auction you would need $4/lb? I've never heard of an auction rail price.
I butcher a steer for my family to eat, but if I sold that steer at auction I would get money. I have to figure that as an opportunity cost because I could sell it instead of keeping it. So it cost me whatever I could sell it for and the grass/hay that it eats and its dam eats and other costs associated with keeping it instead of selling it. Plus the cost of butchering it and going to drop it off and pick it up. All in I'm probably about $4lb to raise my own beef and eat it. So I come out ahead on the steaks and fancier cuts but not on the ground beef.

Latest posts