Alabama members - USDOT number notification

Help Support CattleToday:

Bama":38mk2etl said:
Thats sums it up the way I'm understanding it also. If your truck is rated at over 10,000 pounds you have to get dot stickers. Some of the weight restrictions don't apply to a farmer on state roads. The interstate is a differant matter, farmers don't get exemptions on federal highways and must conform to all laws.

What disturbs me about this is Billy Powell from the Cattlemen's association was quoted in the paper this morning saying that recreational use was exempt. Cattle are not.

He even went on to say that Horse people going to or from shows or rides were in the exempt category because they were considered recreation!

What gets me is by that decatur paper it says the feds are trying to track unsafe drivers and equiment but a driver with a car hauler is exempt from the law because its receationaul. there is no way that hauling cattle to market can be commercial. when you sell your cattle your just getting paid for the cattle they add shippping.
it is mine and several others opinion that this is a wide spread atempt to get more money from the little guys if not shut us down. insurance companies says insurance will not go up, but how can that be. when you think about it most guys are under insured. i know alot that only have the $2500. now we know if he has a wreck thats not to cover much this day and age. they say they arent going to inspect the truck then why have the numbers anyway? why have them posted on the trucks? it sure is funny that just as soon as they gave the state troopers a raise they started this campain. theres a few papers including the DecaturDaily that says that the feds have giving Alabama the funds to start this program because alabama did'nt have the resources before. how does alabama intend to pay for this program in the future if they arent writing tickets and such? It's been questioned why the weight limit was set at 10000 lbs i think i know why. that even hits 1/2 ton trucks hauling a couple calves.

Guys,

I knew this post had died down in the recent weeks but I came across some information which should put this matter to rest for those of us cattle and hay farmers in Alabama who only haul our own items.

This info is from the most recent edition of the ALABAMA FARMER BULLETIN

Alabama Farmers & Producers Have Exemption for Vehicle Registration

Agriculture & Industries Commissioner Ron Sparks recently thanked Governor Bob Riley for allowing an exemption from additional commercial vehicle registration requirements for Alabama farmers and producers. The proposed requirements by the Alabama Department of Public Safety would have meant that vehicles in agricultural use by farmers and producers hauling their own products would have to register as a commercial vehicle just like interstate haulers.

Governor Riley has clarified that the additional registration will not be required of farmers and producers who haul their own livestock or produce within 150 miles of their home or farm as long as they do not also haul for hire. "I appreciate Governor Riley making sure farmers and producers know that they are exempt from the Department of Public Safety's new requirements for commercial vehicles," said Sparks. "We had many calls to the Department of Agriculture about this issue from concerned farmers who haul their own products. It is important that they know they are being treated fairly and are not subject to the same requirements as vehicles for hire or those for interstate transport."

In 1987, federal regulations were adopted by the State of Alabama as part of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. These regulations require any truck with a gross vehicle rating or a gross combined weight rating of more than 10,000 lbs. used commercially on state highways to be registered as commercial vehicles with visible registration numbers and the name of the business posted on the vehicle. In the past, these regulations for intrastate carriers have not been enforced by the state. The Alabama Department of Public Safety sent out a notice that stated as of July 1, 2006 all commercial interstate and intrastate carriers must be in compliance with federal regulations. The recipients of the notice included many farmers and producers throughout the state.

June 12, 2006

Governor Bob Riley has postponed implementation of a federal transportation regulation in Alabama for six months. Until then, a task force appointed by the Governor will work to answer questions that some Alabamians have expressed about the federal requirements regarding intrastate commercial vehicles.

The federal regulations were scheduled to go into effect in Alabama on July 1. Governor Riley's order suspends implementation until January 1, 2007.

"Because of the great number of questions and issues that have been raised by the intrastate commercial vehicle registration process, I've directed the Department of Public Safety to delay implementation of the registration deadline from July 1, 2006 until January 1, 2007. We certainly want to follow federal law and will do so. However, this postponement will allow us the opportunity to form a task force of interested parties to work with DPS to more fully understand the process and requirements of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. With the amount of ambiguity and misunderstanding that is out there, I won't let this go forward until there's a better understanding of this federal law and its requirements," Governor Riley said.

Commercial motor vehicle operators involved in interstate commerce already have to display a U.S. Department of Transportation number on their vehicles. The federal rules also extend that requirement to commercial motor vehicle operators involved in intrastate commerce.

Latest posts