Alabama and Clemson

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave":vrmut9y4 said:
I realize the sites where these games are played are set up years in advance but did you notice the lopsided crowd at the Alabama Washington game. They said there were 75,000 people in the stands. My guess is 70,000 from Alabama and 5,000 from Washington. It was like a home game for Alabama. I don't think it affected the final outcome of the game. Alabama has a great defense. The same could be said for the USC/Penn State game but the Rose Bowl always has a Pac12 team playing. Which means there are pretty good odds of one of those teams being from California. National championship games should be at a very neutral site. Just my opinion, and again I don't think it affected the outcome of this game.

GENERALLY i agree but with bama anywhere from west texas to wilmington north carolina could be considered a home game....it is all SEC territory...and they are another one of the schools that "travels Well".

pdfangus":31iys59t said:
Dave":31iys59t said:
I realize the sites where these games are played are set up years in advance but did you notice the lopsided crowd at the Alabama Washington game. They said there were 75,000 people in the stands. My guess is 70,000 from Alabama and 5,000 from Washington. It was like a home game for Alabama. I don't think it affected the final outcome of the game. Alabama has a great defense. The same could be said for the USC/Penn State game but the Rose Bowl always has a Pac12 team playing. Which means there are pretty good odds of one of those teams being from California. National championship games should be at a very neutral site. Just my opinion, and again I don't think it affected the outcome of this game.

GENERALLY i agree but with bama anywhere from west texas to wilmington north carolina could be considered a home game....it is all SEC territory...and they are another one of the schools that "travels Well".

Yup, like Kentucky basketball, you can't go far enough to get away from that bunch.

I especially noticed it at the Rose Bowl. Looked like about 25% Penn State fans but that's a long way for them to travel. Been a long time since I played football but I honestly never noticed or even heard the crowd. It was like you were in another world or zone. Of course there were only about 3000 people in the entire stadium. :lol2:

TexasBred":2g7jglrn said:
I especially noticed it at the Rose Bowl. Looked like about 25% Penn State fans but that's a long way for them to travel. Been a long time since I played football but I honestly never noticed or even heard the crowd. It was like you were in another world or zone. Of course there were only about 3000 people in the entire stadium. :lol2:

I have had both friends and relatives play in the Rose Bowl and relatives who went to the game to watch. The ones watching the games universally said that they were surrounded by people from Southern California even though there wasn't a California team playing. But if a California team is playing you can bet on who all those people are cheering for.
I never did play in a big football game. But I did ride in some big rodeos. The one and only time I noticed the crowd, I promptly fell off on my head. To be at that level you sort of need the ability to focus.
As I said I don't think it affected the final outcome of the game. Alabama is the real deal. Especially the defense side of the ball. I thought Washington did good against them. Certainly a better showing than Ohio did against Clemson. But the Clemson/Ohio game was a much better "neutral site".

Dave":3ojqu43c said:
TexasBred":3ojqu43c said:

I have had both friends and relatives play in the Rose Bowl and relatives who went to the game to watch. The ones watching the games universally said that they were surrounded by people from Southern California even though there wasn't a California team playing. But if a California team is playing you can bet on who all those people are cheering for.
I never did play in a big football game. But I did ride in some big rodeos. The one and only time I noticed the crowd, I promptly fell off on my head. To be at that level you sort of need the ability to focus.
As I said I don't think it affected the final outcome of the game. Alabama is the real deal. Especially the defense side of the ball. I thought Washington did good against them. Certainly a better showing than Ohio did against Clemson. But the Clemson/Ohio game was a much better "neutral site".
All very true.

Son of Butch":2ie60ymm said:
Kiffen leaving Alabama apparently brought the line back to 7
$100 on Alabama to win pays back 139
$100 on Clemson to win pays back 323
Dang Butch...are you a bookie or just a gambler?? ;-)

TexasBred":2usici99 said:

I assure you we heard the crowd when we played at A&M, Texas, or Arkansas and more often than not when we heard them when we played those same teams at our place, lol! They all travel very well.

TennesseeTuxedo":1q0tqs9p said:
TexasBred":1q0tqs9p said:

I assure you we heard the crowd when we played at A&M, Texas, or Arkansas and more often than not when we heard them when we played those same teams at our place, lol! They all travel very well.
Very true.....were any of the games actual sellouts this year??

TexasBred":2w4xr1gy said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2w4xr1gy said:
TexasBred":2w4xr1gy said:

Very true.....were any of the games actual sellouts this year??

No idea.

TexasBred":37jl5rfa said:
Son of Butch":37jl5rfa said:
Once upon a time I worked with a couple of guys that booked wagers... never cared for taking much of a gamble.
I like low risk ventures and prefer to play with my own deck.

You should place a bet daily... otherwise you could be walking around lucky and not even know it. :)

Son of Butch":nlfw3112 said:
TexasBred":nlfw3112 said:
Son of Butch":nlfw3112 said:
Once upon a time I worked with a couple of guys that booked wagers... never cared for taking much of a gamble.
I like low risk ventures and prefer to play with my own deck.

You should place a bet daily... otherwise you could be walking around lucky and not even know it. :)
Don't guess I've bet on a sporting event in my life. Use to buy a lottery ticket occasionally but don't even do that anymore.

I have pretty much used up my luck by staying alive until now....
several times I have emerged basically unhurt when I should have died.......
not gonna waste any luck I might have by using it on what other people might do in a sporting event...

most gambling is not a matter of luck....

I sat at Fort Carson the Christmas of 1971....there were only a few of us in the barracks....there was a guy there who wanted to play cards and I had no money .....he said okay we will just play to pass the time

he beat me every hand..finally he admitted that he was just practicing and started telling me what cards he was dealing as he dealt them and he was about 80% correct....I went to the PX and bought several new decks ....no change...he could open a new deck. shuffle them or let me shuffle them and he could still deal em to me telling me what I was holding.

He finally told me that he was from a town in Nevada about 100 miles from Vegas and that where he was from if you couldn't do that and count cards in Blackjack then you did not want to try to gamble....for him it was just a 20% gamble....for me it was 100% gambling....broke me of the notion of gambling....

standard practice to let the newbies win to more or less set the hook

pdfangus":1pkuzojo said:
....for him it was just a 20% gamble....for me it was 100% gambling....broke me of the notion of gambling....

standard practice to let the newbies win to more or less set the hook
No that's not gambling... that's shearing the sheep...you can shear sheep many times, but butcher them only once.

I sat in a private poker game once with fellows I barely knew in a rough part of town... there was a young Native American kid baby faced and innocent looking as could be, but noticed he had a lot of manual dexterity. I didn't feel comfortable and excused myself from the game. Later met up with and talked to him. He showed me he could deal seconds and bottom of deck to appear they were coming off the top and stack cards while gathering the deck like nobody's business, he was able to deal a full house to any spot on the table and himself 4 of a kind at will.
Glad I didn't play that night, you really need to trust your gut when playing with strangers in a private setting.

P.S.
If you play with strangers you need to know how to spot a marked deck in under 10 seconds handling the deck.
The secret is to riff the deck... the back of marked cards will move like cartoon figures when riffed.
I've never called anyone on a marked deck, fear of creating trouble, but I will make an excuse to leave the game asap.
There... I've done my good deed for the day, if that helps anyone.

Tomorrow's lesson... Belly Strippers... no not dancing girls, shaved card decks.

I'll throw in with clemson. Bama's defense is great, but I have to give an overall edge to Clemson. With a senior qb vs freshman and a close contest last year. I think Saban shot himself in the foot changing coordinators a week out from the final game.

I think Bama is going to beat Clemson easily. But I sure hope I'm wrong. When one player is over 90% of your offense that's not good in a team sport. I'm going to the camp and watching the game, it'll be the first football game of the year for me. Hopefully all the players will stand for the National Anthem.

Latest posts