Alabama Tom

Help Support CattleToday:

Tis the season. My youngest shot this one about 5:30 this afternoon. We had them in this morning but they snuck in the wrong direction. View attachment 43653
Congrats to your son ! It's been a few years since I've killed one but haven't hunted a lot . My calling partner moved away and I'm not the greatest. Proud of this bird , he was one of 7 that I called in this morning. Thought my morning was a bust . Bird I set up on flew down , hit the ground in the pasture and ran over the hill ? Only thing I can think of he saw me as I walked across the pasture and set up on the edge in the woods . About 30 minutes later it was on with the 7 .

I'm convinced turkeys are the dumbest critter ever created. There's just no rhyme or reason for some of the stuff they do. Thats what makes them so challenging to hunt, you can never assume you know what they'll do. But its almost always fun.

I'd seen on tv but never in person. When I shot the Tom , 2 more ran over and started flogging him . I could have killed another but my son in law and his best friend were on the other side of the farm working another bird .

I'd seen on tv but never in person. When I shot the Tom , 2 more ran over and started flogging him . I could have killed another but my son in law and his best friend were on the other side of the farm working another bird .
My buddy took his son on our lease last weekend and had the same thing. They called in two. His son shot one and when it went down the other one started going after him. That's pretty wild.

I'm convinced turkeys are the dumbest critter ever created. There's just no rhyme or reason for some of the stuff they do. Thats what makes them so challenging to hunt, you can never assume you know what they'll do. But its almost always fun.
A deer thinks every man is a tree, a turkey thinks that every tree is a man.

Turkeys will jump on a hurt member especially if it's the boss gobler .
Dogs do that too. Growing up, there was a Goodyear Mill going into town. There was a "mill village" across the road from it, and everyone's dogs just an loose. About every time you went to town there'd be a bitch in heat with a whole pack of dogs after her running down the side walk, If she ran across the road, there would just about always be a dog get run over. Scared me the first time I saw it as a kid....the way the pack jumped on the hit dog and killed it.

Latest posts