Air conditioning

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
Do you have ac. I lived without ac until age 22. The schools did not have ac and very few businesses had ac. The picture show and the grocery store were the first to get ac. The cars did not have ac until the middle 60's and few of them had it. Did not miss it because we never had it , sure would be bad to not have it now. I guess I have gotten soft in my senior years. The mornings was the time to go to town to do business and the evenings was the time to go to the beer joint to cool offf. I remember wetting the sheets down when I wet to bed or I would sleep outside on an old army cot. The good times :cboy: sure do miss them. NOT :cowboy:

I have AC now, central - not the window units. I didn't grow up with it. I like it!

A few weeks ago I was talking to my neighbor and he said they do not have AC. He bought all of the equipment, but never got around to putting it in. He claims they get a nice breeze out of the creek in the back that cools the house down. Might be so. I sure don't miss laying in bed, sweating and not sleeping.

We have never had AC in the house. And usually haven't in the vehicles. I've recently started working somewhere with air conditioning in the break room which is kinda nice and kinda bad. One thing is for sure and that is that I can take the heat a lot better then the people that have AC

Don't know what year they started using AC here in our schools..but I never got in on it..we had an old window unit growing up that blew snowballs,and lasted for years..

68 Mom and Dad got a window unit.
The first new car I ever saw with A.C. was mom's 1964 Ford Fairlane with the aftermarket under the dash model.
Mom was 50 years old when she got that car.
You could hang meat in that car.
Car had a 260 V8 with three on the tree with power steering and brakes. That was pootin in tall weeds.

Three AC units in this house. One window unit on second level, one standing on main level and one standing in bedroom. Actually have a 4th standing unit on standby as spare. Only bought the window unit, all the standing units were given to me by people moving.

It is very pleasant to sit in this house in summer. I can't believe the amount of people that just sit in front of a fan to cool off.

I have 2" polyiso sheets under my metal roof. it pretty much keeps the house cold w/o even running the ac. best thing i've ever done.

i have a pretty big compressor and it feels like the freezer coming out the vents..

pretty nice being cold coming out of th shower when its a 100+ degree heat wave outside.

yea.. no wonder why so many people complain about how bad life is.. :lol2: :dunce:

It was probably '06 before I had my first vehicle with AC. I know it was 2015 When I built a new house with a heat pump that I had AC for the first time. Now in this place we have two window mount units. One in the living room and a small one in the bedroom. They probably get used a third of the days in July and August. Don't get put in until mid June sometime and taken out and stored away by mid September. One of the good things about the PNW is it cools off at night.

Lived for two summers in my late teens without ac. Plenty of trucks without ac. Got two right now without ac. Never ever had a tractor, skidsteer, or any other machine with a working ac.
Last house we had before I moved back on the home place when the central ac gave it up I put a small window unit in each bedroom and a large one in the living room. I will continue this policy from now on.

We have AC here.

As hard as we work outside and as close as we get to heat injuries, we appreciate coming inside to cool off. Our farm work is 99% manual labor. No hired hands, either. After morning and evening chores, you come inside, strip your soaking clothes off and get in the shower. Two showers a day all summer long. I wash the farm clothes daily, too. If we didn't have AC, I suppose that's why Florida comes with all this water lying around. Just watch for gators.

As a kid, we didn't have AC out West. None of the places I lived in did. You would open up windows at night (or in the morning, if the neighborhood was sketchy) and cool the place off. Then, close everything up before the heat started up.

Don't have AC in the house I rent. My son has a heat pump and going in his house on a hot day is nice. Since I spend most of my time out with the animals or on a tractor, I haven't had AC. My car has it and I have used it a few times but usually have a window open too. I get headaches from the AC in a car while traveling. Use a fan in the house. At night have a fan that pulls the air in from outside and it cools it off some. Only have a few nights that it is really hot. This house is a 1750's stone house and has walls that are 12-18 inches thick. It keeps the heat out for most of the day. First thing in the morning I turn off the fan, close the windows and keep the cooler air in, and the hotter air out. It will stay 5-15 degrees cooler than outside. But as I get older I have a bit more trouble working in the heat. Son has a couple of tractors with ac and on a really hot day they are really nice to do field work in. Have raked hay with no cab in 100 weather and it is not fun. It also seems that we are getting more of the heat sooner in the year, not much spring like weather anymore. And this heat and humidity lasts longer. Here near the Blue Ridge mountains, we never had this much heat, this early, or lasting this long. A couple of weeks was alot and now it has been weeks of heat, and only into mid-July. Used to be August was the heat wave time.
And now the kids are going back to school the 12th of August?????

We had a week of 100 degree weather this year in the middle of May. And it stays in the 90s through September. I can work in the heat until about 3:00. Then I need a break until about 7:00. I can't stay in it like I used to. And as long as I can afford the light bill, I'm gonna be comfortable while I sleep.

Grew up with A.C. in the trailer because step father worked at the steel mills and wasn't about to be hot at home. While stationed in Biloxi, the student barracks were pretty warm but I got orders before it got MS hot in the summer. On to FL, where i had the good fortune of being placed in the old barracks(they had just built multiple new facilities that were climate controlled). 2 of my buddies from high school, who were young Marines at the time, stopped out to enjoy some R&R. They thought I was living in the lap of luxury after seeing my dorm room. Told me I lived better than their officers did. USAF = good choice in my mind at that moment. Out west to NM, where i had a swamp cooler in the first home i purchased as a newly wed. Far from AC, but does a wonderful job of keeping you cool in the arid climate of NM. Currently have central air on the main floor with poor circulation to the second floor. Me and the Mrs. Have a private war over the T-stat. She wants it at 70. I bump it to 74...back and forth we go.

bball said:
Me and the Mrs. Have a private war over the T-stat. She wants it at 70. I bump it to 74...back and forth we go.

Sounds like my house. She wants it on 70. I can live with 78. So we kinda compromised on 74. Sometimes it mysteriously ends up a little lower. So when I find it on 70 I take it to 78. Like you say. Kinda a private war.

Me and mrs. snoop spent our first 2 years in a trailer with no shade on the west side, just a fan. We would go to the creek after work, take our hibachi and cook supper, and come back after sundown. Never had a vehicle with working AC, until a few years ago, we have 3 window units in the house, and I run it in the pickup with the window down. We use a no cab to rake with, and even though the cab tractor ac doesn't work, it has a fan, but when I jump off it to rake is when I get hot. It costs us a dollar a day to keep the house cool, and I'm willing to pay.

Latest posts