air compressors question

Help Support CattleToday:

Walker

Reaction score
We are in the market for an air compressor for around the farm. Is there any particular brand or model that you've had good or bad experience with??

They are rated by CFM at 90psi. Mine is 10.8CFM at 90psi and it does a good job. I think it is 60 gal, came from Lowes. It requires 220volt hook up. They make them all different sizes depending what tools you plan to use with them. They sure are handy to clean dust and crap off equipment. Just be sure that it has enough CFM to do whatever you plan to do with it.

The main use of the air compressor we are looking for will do things such as inflate tires and be used for air tools. The range we are looking at is 5-15 gal. tank.

Are you looking for a stationary or portable A/C.
The bigger the tank & compressor the better job it will do.

Mat Man":3srl8oj5 said:
Are you looking for a stationary or portable A/C.
The bigger the tank & compressor the better job it will do.

We are looking for portable! Thanks.

If you're going to use an impact wrench even the 15 gallon is to small. I have a 25 gal and at times it is marginal. It has the pressure, just runs out of poop sometimes on the really tough nuts and has to recharge some when working on the subsequent ones.

You need to look at your air tools you will use and find out how many cfms they require and then buy what will do the job. Like Dun says, too small and you are wasting money.

If you look carefully, at Lowes, Home Depot and Tractor Supply most of the compressors are identical except for the color of the paint and the nameplate. Most of the above are made by the same company Campbell Huesfeld. Then there are another line of compressors made by Ingersol Rand, I think those are really differenct. There might be others?

Billy

Even if all you would plan on doing at most is changing tires, a compressor with enough poop to run an impact wrench is well worth the extra cost.
I bought my big compressor at Sears because it came with an impact wrench and pneumatic ratchet plus some other misc. goodies. Price was lower then lowes when the extras were thrown in.

A 1/2" air impact will pull 5 to 6CFM @ 90 PSI. 3/8" air ratchet will pull 4 to 5 CFM @ 90 PSI.

If you are able to wait for the compressor to build up then the smaller ones will work just fine for you. For me, I use a 7 hp IR that will deliver about 20CFM sitting on a 80 gallon tank. I don't have to worry about running out of air with any air tool(s) i want to use including a spray pot.

Using a lerger tank on a small compressor head will mitigate the number of times the motor starts and runs somewhat but if you are overwhelming the compressor output nothing will help.

By the way, I also have a small Porter Cable 110V compressor I bought to use with some nail guns and it will supply enough air to pull 3 of the 5 lug nuts off my wifes car before I have to let it catch its breath. That's using a 1/2" CP impact. Just like everyone says above you need to figure you maximum usage and buy the compressor that will satisfy the worst case situation.

Whatever brand you buy, be sure that it has a cast iron head on it and not a aluminium head. If you get an aluminum head you will only be buying another one in a couple of years.

I have had a Sears compressor (90 PSI) for about 15 years now, and it has never failed me. It is not so much the air compressor, but the tools that you are going to use with them that matters.

the one thing on buying a gas powered portable is make sure it has a honda engine will last longer easier to start but makes all the difference have one i keep on the truck and wife can get it started on the first crank also make sure it has a 2 cylinder compressor will provide more cfm also faster recovery ,would be lost without we used it to change a rear end on a friends semi in the field the other day that was worth the extra price bought mine at a farm store here in the Ozarks about 5 yrs ago and paid around 650.00 for it

If you are going for portable, I'd get one of the largest portable I could find if you plan on using air tools such as an impact. Most of the small ones have a direct drive, oil free compressor. Which is ok to air up tires, but I wouldn't recomend these for prolonged air demand. Take it from me, I burned up my 15 gal craftsman doing some spray painting. Went buy a belt driven 60 gal, 220volt compressor at Lowes and have no complaints.

For driving the pneumatic post pounder, I just use a small fairly light Coleman. For serious stuff I just load the bigger tanked one on a trailer along with the 6500 watt generator.

If I were you I'd DEFINITELY stay away from the oilless type compressors... They run a lot faster and charge up a lot faster, but their service life is terrible... As someone else mentioned burning one up doing spray painting, if you do any heavy work at all you'll be lucky to get a year or two of service out of it. By heavy work I mean impact wrench and tire work, and some spray painting.

I got a two cylinder Cambell Hausfeld from TSC on closeout-- about a 60 gallon tank and it puts out about 20 CFM and 135 PSI, though I turned it down to 120 just to save power and reduce wear on the compressor itself. I only need 100 PSI or so anyway. It's a pretty big unit and runs off a 3/4 horse motor on 220 volts, but I wired it in on the same leg as my welder and mounted it in the corner of the shop, and run plastic air lines around the roof of the shop with drops where I need them, including out under the carport and next to the tractor shed, and across behind the barn to my brother's classic car shop. Didn't take long to do and wasn't very expensive, and it sure comes in handy! With a single ball valve on the compressor outlet, we can shut the whole system down when we're done to prevent any leakdown. We also added a hose reel with 100 feet of 3/8 air hose for airing up tires and blowing off equipment, or getting the impact wrench on implements and stuff. VERY handy!

We've had THREE portables; an old Sears one my Dad bought 35 years ago, which we nearly wore out, which I was going to rebuild when someone stole it. We also had a Ford portable compressor that we pretty much wore out, and a Sears oilless that lasted about two years and it was shot. This CH shop compressor should last a LONG time; I've already had it about 7-8 years and it hasn't missed a lick. For my part, a larger shop compressor is the best money spent in the long run. If you look you can find a really nice single or twin cylinder single stage for a good deal, and if you want a Cadillac compressor go with a dual stage (one cylinder draws in air, compresses it, and feeds that compressed air to a second cylinder to compress it AGAIN to get really high pressures) but for 90% of the stuff you'll do on a farm, a single stage is more than enough. Plastic tubing is cheap enough and the fittings are cheap to run air lines to wherever they're handy, and then use couplers to come off that with hoses/tools.

One other thing I find handy, is one of those little portable air tanks. Great for airing up tires in remote locations. I even picked up an old propane tank from a Farmall Super M at a tractor salvage, removed the valves, vented the tank with a low pressure blower for a few days, and then installed air fittings in place of the propane fittings and mounted it on an old golf cart axle with a tongue to hook it up behind the cart. Now I can take 20-30 gallons of air wherever I need it by just hitching up. It will provide enough air to run an impact wrench long enough to remove four wheels off an old car we were hauling for salvage. Works great. With a check valve installed on the inlet and a regular male quick-disconnect installed in the check valve, we can just pull up next to the air line on the shop, and plug the hose from the hose reel directly into the tank and refill it automatically. When it's full, unsnap the quick-connect and the valve pops shut, ready to head out to the field. We carry a 25 foot hose with quick connects that snaps onto a female quick-connect to provide air to the tools when we're in the field. Couldn't ask for much more!

Good luck, and remember, going too cheap now means you just get to spend it all over again and more besides in a few years! OL JR :)

luke strawwalker":1fgwpsly said:
I even picked up an old propane tank from a Farmall Super M at a tractor salvage, removed the valves, vented the tank with a low pressure blower for a few days, and then installed air fittings in place of the propane fittings and mounted it on an old golf cart axle with a tongue to hook it up behind the cart.

I leave the valves. They won't refill those old tanks but they are awesome air tanks. Buy the LH Thread fitting by 1/4 inch NPT for $2.49. Add a quarter inch pipe tee, a gauge and a quick connect stem. The gauge is the most expensive item.

I have a 40 gallon and 3 of the 20 gallon propane tanks. Two came off of my camper trailer. The air compressor hardly leaves the house now. The 40 gallon is left full out at the farm. A 20 is left on the leased pasture next door. Close those valves and you never lose one cubic foot in the next 5 years. Don't remove them. They are great.

If you have using a lot of air for blasting, chisel, or painting put a tee on the air compressor and put the 40 gallon tank in parallel. It makes a heck of a reservoir and you are not stopping and waiting for the compressor to catch up as much.

150 psi in the 40 gallon tank will air up the back tire on the hoe with air left over. It will also air up the tractor tire so that you don't have to jack it up and block it if you ever get a flat. Much easier to load than a compressor and no worries about anything breaking going across the pasture.