AIing replacement heiffers

Help Support CattleToday:

Amo

Reaction score
Chambers, NE (125 miles W. of Souix City IA or 110
OK, first time Ive tried doing my virgin heiffers. Set them up with MGA. I do crop ins adjusting. Soposed to go to a school on the 8-9 of June. Day 33 for my heiffers is June 6. Its a 4hr drive at least. Since Im new to heiffers, are they like cows and most come in about 35& 36 or will they hit a tick earlirer. Or is there a trick to doing them a tick earlier? I cant go latter either, like I see in the AI catalogs and do a mass breed. Guy who does it for me and owns the tank is doing 150 hd starting the 10th.

Ive only got 24hd and hoping that some will come in on 6&7, then lock everything else up in corral and hopefully I can get him and a neighbor to come over and help do the rest! IDK!

According to the MGA program, You PG them on day 33 and plan on breeding day 33 to day 39.
Yes "most" will come in 2 days after PG - but not all.
Some will not respond to the shot, because they already are cycling on their own - that's why some may come in the day you are supposed to PG them & some might not come in til day 39.
The PG shot only works if they have a corpus leutium, which is during the middle of the 18-21 day cycle. If they are at the beginning or the end of a cycle, it doesn't do anything for them.
Not sure if that made sense. If a cows' cycle is 21 days - day 1-5 she does not have a CL and I "think" day 17-21? she does not have a CL.

If you do timed you can breed on day 36 which will be the 9th i think that way your guy will be done before his. Protocol says 72 to 84 hrs after pg if you give the shot in the morning can breed at 84 which will be evening. Just done 18 heifers with the 33 day cidr deal had 16 in heat 1 was in standing heat at 36 hrs after pg 6 more at 48 hrs 9 at 60, 2 never did bred them anyway.

Ya I got out the book and did the math last night. I think Ill heat detect to 36hours post PG (morning of the 8th) hope he and either a neighbor or my dad can do them that night and next morning, then TAI @ 84hrs. Shouldn't be too bad w/ just 24hd. Just thought someone might of had an oops that worked somehow, and it worked to give them a shot earlier and get them done and out of the road. Don't know if you don't ask!

Latest posts