AI?

Help Support CattleToday:

kaneranch

Reaction score
Hi
My dad used to run steers on our land and I am just getting in to cows so I need all the help I can get. I bought two cows. They are bred right now but are due to calve in September. I need to know a little about AI. Since I don't have a bull that sounds like the easiest, but I don't know. I need to know which is easier, which is cheaper, which is more effective, and what you think I should do. I also wanted to know if the cows should be showing very much if they are due to calve in september. Thanks

kaneranch,

For two cows..AI is cheaper. Are you planning to AI yourself ...or have someone do it?

If you plan to have someone do it...make sure of their experience. If you plan to do AI yourself...strongly suggest you attend an AI school. Your local semen distributor can help with that. To find a semen distributor/represenative check with more experienced folks in your area...or ask.

We have good representation & service from Select, although ABS, Gentix (sp), & Accerated are also big AI companies, most provide AI schools. They can all provide excellent advice & information as well - good luck.

The ability to individually choose semem based on the cow's genetics & capabilities make AI an excellent choice, especially when talking about just a few cows.

Another option is to rent a bull. Lots of folks round here does it, we even swap bulls for a while to bring in some differant blood. Just be careful that he don't bring any strange diseases with him.

kaneranch":2v5v0at8 said:
Hi
My dad used to run steers on our land and I am just getting in to cows so I need all the help I can get. I bought two cows. They are bred right now but are due to calve in September. I need to know a little about AI. Since I don't have a bull that sounds like the easiest, but I don't know. I need to know which is easier, which is cheaper, which is more effective, and what you think I should do. I also wanted to know if the cows should be showing very much if they are due to calve in september. Thanks

Depending on the size of the cow, you should start seeing a little size I would think.

I agree with Bama. Rent or borrow a bull from someone who calves in the spring or find someone willing to let you run your cows with their herd for a couple of cycles. We AI everything and yes, it's cheaper, you can get better genetics, and you don't have to keep a bull. The down side is it is pretty time intensive. Seriously time intensive, and unless you have a really good relationship with the tech, you are going to have to work on his schedule which decreases the odds of success. Do you have a working pen, chute, etc? The techs I know aren't going to give you much service, if at all, unless you do. Odds are you won't get both cows to take on the first try which will require additional time and expense on your part. For two cows, find a bull somewhere. Just one guys opinion.

Lee

Since your cows are due in September, you could buy a yearling bull for($600-800). By the time your cows calve it would be 15-16 months and would be breeding age. Then you should have gentle bull that is calm and well adjusted instead of a rented bull that doesn't know your place. Also if you were to add onto your herd his cost could be justified easily.

If I bought a yearling bull I would be taking a bigger risk though because he is not prooven. We currently are taking in some peoples cows and I was thinking about asking them if they would sell me some breedings. If I did that I wouldn't have to worry about taking them a long distance and I wouldn't have to buy a bull, I could just move my cows into the next pasture. If I did buy a bull would I have to worry about him getting out and breeding the neighbors cattle? Most people only leave their bulls on their cows for five or six months of the year. Would I have to worry about the bull going though fences? I don't know if I am ready for a bull yet what do you think about a buying a breeding from the neighbors? THanks

Thatle work. It will be cheaper on you in the long run. Unless you get several cows later.

PM Ollie and ask this same question. He, to me, is very knowledgble about this. He's very helpful.

Dick

It's kind of funny that I see stuff from the AI studs that show the monetary advantage to using AI and the bull sellers generally claim a bull is cheaper.
Could it be that "figures don;t lie but liars figure?"

dun

dun":2yess8fh said:
It's kind of funny that I see stuff from the AI studs that show the monetary advantage to using AI and the bull sellers generally claim a bull is cheaper.

dun

I always figure the bull earns his money by doing the heat detecting for me. He's on duty 24-7 and never misses one, even when I'm asleep in the recliner.

dun":10y1n3uu said:

dun
==========
dun,
The poster was talking about two cows. Wouldn't justify a bull. I'm not sure where the break even point is...number of cows. But with two ..don't have a question.

Bama":3h71hf4m said:
Another option is to rent a bull. Lots of folks round here does it, we even swap bulls for a while to bring in some differant blood. Just be careful that he don't bring any strange diseases with him.
===========
bama,

Good point. We require herd certification from a vet before we rent out a bull....plus a visual review of the operation. Cheap way to introduce or get good genetics.

It's my understanding most breed registries require the AI operator to be certified to maintain a bloodline? If that's the case, you'd probably not want to do a DIY AI if you're dealing with registered cattle.

Mike Bishop - http://www.flbullrider.com

flbullrider":10y3wu7v said:
It's my understanding most breed registries require the AI operator to be certified to maintain a bloodline? If that's the case, you'd probably not want to do a DIY AI if you're dealing with registered cattle.

Don't know about "most breed registries", but the Angus Association only requires that you buy an AI certificate (or have permission from the owner of the bull) before you can register a calf. Most people that pay $25-30 for a straw of semen will look for a competent AI tech. You can waste the semen and damage the animal if you get to messing around in there without knowing what you're doing....

If you have an a.i tech in your area it might be just as easy to give him a call when you see a cow in standing heat, you just need a headgate or stanchion if your cows aren't too wild. Might be easier then loading them to take them to a bull, and then to get them back home. In my experience if you call the tech when the cow is really standing, he will get her bred.

Frankie":2wf71npj said:
flbullrider":2wf71npj said:

Don't know about "most breed registries", but the Angus Association only requires that you buy an AI certificate (or have permission from the owner of the bull) before you can register a calf. Most people that pay $25-30 for a straw of semen will look for a competent AI tech. You can waste the semen and damage the animal if you get to messing around in there without knowing what you're doing....

Ditto for AHA-I think.

Latest posts