AI timing question.

Help Support CattleToday:

djinwa

Reaction score
Noticed my only cow in heat today, jumping on her steer calf, and him jumping on her. This ended at around 4 PM today. In this situation, I've always called my AI guy, a dairyman, who comes at 5 AM the next day and gets her bred. Has worked 5 of 5 times. Anyway, I called him on his cell phone and he said he's out of town and will get back sometime between 10 AM and noon tomorrow. I asked him to call me when he gets back and I'll decide if I want to try, or wait til next heat. She calved May 24, so wouldn't be really late next time, but since I milk her, would like to be earlier.

Anyway, would noon breeding tomorrow be too late? Here's a chart I've used.
http://www.iaea.org/programmes/nafa/d3/ ... age01.html

So if her heat ended at 4 PM today, then she'd ovulate at 2 AM, egg good for 10 to 20 hours. Sounds like it'd work breeding at noon, but don't know how long it takes for sperm to meet egg, etc.

Wouldn't be bad to wait til next time, but always interested in learning more.

This is the chart I've always used to determine if AIing would be feasible at a given time. If you notice, anything past 8 hours from the end of standing heat falls out of the desierable timeframe

dun":3acdkb9h said:
anything past 8 hours from the end of standing heat falls out of the desierable timeframe

Dun is right. That is the key right there, 8 hours. Even 12 hours after standing heat and your conception is well on it's way down.

Here's what I would do, (I breed my own so it is different for me) BUT
if it isn't to expensive I would go ahead and stick semen in her, you never know what she will be doing. I have had them take before at wierd times.
I would mark on your callender that she was in on 8/10 (if I have the correct date you are talking about) Mark her bred on your callender (date actually bred) 8/11 and then mark 18-21 days later from heat time just to be safe.
Have your breeder aware of the next possible standing heat time if she doesn't take so there are no time problems. If she didn't take you will know. If you can stick a butt tag or tail paint on her a day or so before she is due to return to heat that would work well to help you on heat detection. Then you will do one of two things, know she took or know basically the exact time she is due to return to estrous.
Double R

dun":24w49ot0 said:
This is the chart I've always used to determine if AIing would be feasible at a given time. If you notice, anything past 8 hours from the end of standing heat falls out of the desierable timeframe

What if you don't know when the end of standing heat is? like you check 2-3x per day and you only see the cow standing at one point during the day?

milkmaid":uiqa7rb3 said:
dun":uiqa7rb3 said:

What if you don't know when the end of standing heat is? like you check 2-3x per day and you only see the cow standing at one point during the day?

If she still standing at 1 pm and not standing by6 (our normal breeding time) we breed her that evening, otherwise we breed her in the morning.

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, AI isn't very cheap for me, so I think I'll wait. Would be fun to conduct some research, but one cow isn't a very big sample size.

Let me make the story longer. I made a poor judgment a few days ago and had him AI her. I had seen mucus discharge the day before and figured that was the best signs of heat I was going to get with a single cow. THis is the first year I've only had one cow.

I was thinking of the guy I sold a heifer to last year which calved in February, and he's just now figuring out her cycles. My cow's first heat post-calving on July 20 was weak - just alittle discharge. (Years past she'd had strong first heats, and I've even bred her successfully on them.) So I called the AI guy and had him breed her the next day. THen the day after that, bammo - strong heat signs, much more discharge, jumping on calf and vice versa, bawling, etc. My fault, I didn't tell him my story until he had his arm in her - he said he wasn't getting much discharge out of her.

So, I'm thinking maybe there'll be a miracle - I just need a single sperm implanted 5:30 AM on Aug 9 to be good when she ovulates morning of Aug 11.

Latest posts