AI SCHOOL

Help Support CattleToday:

Wilson_Cattle_Company

Reaction score
Manchester, Oklahoma, In a Saddle, ridin' rodeos,
Mornin Howdy yallz,

Dad just went to Stillwater to AI school and Palpation School. He said the AI was tricky cuz you gotta feel around in there and turn some stuff around then stick that gun in the right spot or something like that. Has anyone else been to AI or Palpation school? Do you think it was benificial? (sp) Dad said this one in Oklahoma at OSU was really good.

Any comments about these schools? I am thinking of going to them after I go to Farrier school. I would just like some feedback.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":1mnobkyn said:
AI was tricky cuz you gotta feel around in there and turn some stuff around then stick that gun in the right spot or something like that.
Think that bout sums it up there. :roll:

certherfbeef":12famurb said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":12famurb said:
AI was tricky cuz you gotta feel around in there and turn some stuff around then stick that gun in the right spot or something like that.

Have you done much of it your self?

Wilson_Cattle_Company":10whbks7 said:
certherfbeef":10whbks7 said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":10whbks7 said:

You're kidding, right? :eek: :eek:

Wilson_Cattle_Company":1g0yg8nk said:
certherfbeef":1g0yg8nk said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":1g0yg8nk said:

Yep. AI quite a few every spring and palpate them myself.

AI school helped me. I got to see an actual reproductive tract laying on the table. I got to fiddle arounf in it with the gun. It was a huge help to "see" what I was doing. In the school I was in everything from 10 year old holsteins to yearling herfs. Makes a difference the number of calves that an animal has had. All the good "stuff" gets farther in and harder to reach the more times she has calved.

Take AI school...it will only benifit you.

msscamp":sw3nx9on said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":sw3nx9on said:
certherfbeef":sw3nx9on said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":sw3nx9on said:

You're kidding, right? :eek: :eek:

What..... did I miss something??

yeah, it sounds like it. There has been at least one thread on here from a grateful member when Certs drove a fair ways to AI his/her cattle. There have also been numerous discussions about AI that Certs was an active participant of. She is well versed in the art of AI'ing cattle. It's just one of her many talents.

msscamp":19b2oh2c said:
yeah, it sounds like it. There has been at least one thread on here from a grateful member when Certs drove a fair ways to AI his/her cattle. There have also been numerous discussions about AI that Certs was an active participant of. She is well versed in the art of AI'ing cattle. It's just one of her many talents.

Oh.....sorry, I missed that deal I guess.

Yes, it well worth the money. I have been doing my on AI for about 8 Years. WE have about 150 mother cows my rate is 78% most of time. But be aware thoe cow must be in high 5 or 6 body score for best results. also a good gomer bull is a must. Also ABS has a very good school. Good Luck okcow gril

okcowgril":23gehpav said:
Yes, it well worth the money. I have been doing my on AI for about 8 Years. WE have about 150 mother cows my rate is 78% most of time. But be aware thoe cow must be in high 5 or 6 body score for best results. also a good gomer bull is a must. Also ABS has a very good school. Good Luck okcow gril

Thanks alot for the feedback okcow girl! I am happy to hear you are sucessful. Thats all I think about anymore; sucess! How to be sucessful and how to better my self! Thanks again okcowgirl.

Wilson_Cattle_Company":2les4k11 said:
okcowgril":2les4k11 said:

Thanks alot for the feedback okcow girl! I am happy to hear you are sucessful. Thats all I think about anymore; sucess! How to be sucessful and how to better my self! Thanks again okcowgirl.

I didn't mean to sound like a like a know it all. We bred on natural heats. While 78% is good it far from great on that kind of heat.
okcowgril

78% is pretty good for mature cows that are lactating. I know dairy guys that are very happy with 40. If 78% isnt great what is? 100% of course but i havent ever heard of that happening on any herd of decent size. from what ive heard beef cows are 50-80% conception typically. If there is a way to get higher please do tell.

okcowgril":2emue4t6 said:

Cowgirl if you are getting 78 % conception I would say this is excellent. You must stay very busy breeding that many cows on natural heats.
I was curious as to where ok.s9d438 is???
bif

certherfbeef":cmiyy6n1 said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":cmiyy6n1 said:
certherfbeef":cmiyy6n1 said:
Wilson_Cattle_Company":cmiyy6n1 said:

Yep. AI quite a few every spring and palpate them myself.

AI school helped me. I got to see an actual reproductive tract laying on the table. I got to fiddle arounf in it with the gun. It was a huge help to "see" what I was doing. In the school I was in everything from 10 year old holsteins to yearling herfs. Makes a difference the number of calves that an animal has had. All the good "stuff" gets farther in and harder to reach the more times she has calved.

Take AI school...it will only benifit you.

I don't know CH beef, I believe I had rather ai an older cow any day that a first time heifer. JMHO

78% is excellent for AI'ing. On average a bull only has a 75% conceptions rate. The overall average is around 60% from some research out of OK that I read last summer.

Bobg

Avery, they are supposed to have an AI class here at one of the local colleges after the first of the year. As much as I enjoy going to work every day, :roll: I'll just have to tell them that I am taking a few days off for that one. Learning to AI means you are open to improving your exsisting herd or their offspring genectically in any direction you choose to take. It is definitely something I consider worthwhile.

okcowgril":1c9k26nr said:
=========
okcowgril...,

I have seen several comments about using gomer bulls..... never thought they were necessary and just an added expense since other fellow cows show standing heat in their actions.

How do you configure your gomer bull that makes it an asset in heat detection.... Versus fellow cow demonstrations of rideing the animal in estrus?

okcowgril":2jimy2s1 said:
==
okcowgril,

Also (good 78%...is good) what technique have you developed over the years that has improved your %?

We have a young vet student who has an excellent record also..when we can get her. She attributes a higher % success rate to two things;

1) Insert the tube sligtly(1/2" or less) thru the cervix.
"That gives the lttle fellows an opportunity to find their way into both horns....since the egg could be in either..if you are further in past the cervix the injection could be sent down the wrong horn from where the egg is located."

2) S L O W L Y inject the semen.
"This is as close to natural injection since this process closely matches the bull's program....except point of deposit"

Latest posts