Pour on and AI

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
Do I need to worry about the length of time between applying a pour on wormer and AIing cattle? The wormer gets internal parasites, does that included fertilized eggs? Yes, I can call the company just haven't done it but I am on line now. :D

Thanks,
Alan

Shouldn't cause any problems at all. Personally I like to worm and vaccinate way ahead of breeding but it's more about getting the work out of the way so I can have fun than it is breeding issues.

Usually "the company" is less informed than you are --they are just salesmen and make a living off you using a product --they dont care whether or not you lose a few straws of semen in your quest of getting your cattle bred. Don't ever use a pour on wormer within 30 days of breeding AI--- This has been rule 1 for 30 years.

Alan":v3qff74u said:
Do I need to worry about the length of time between applying a pour on wormer and AIing cattle? The wormer gets internal parasites, does that included fertilized eggs? Yes, I can call the company just haven't done it but I am on line now. :D

Thanks,
Alan

JustSimmental":1xtzst6x said:
Usually "the company" is less informed than you are --they are just salesmen and make a living off you using a product --they dont care whether or not you lose a few straws of semen in your quest of getting your cattle bred. Don't ever use a pour on wormer within 30 days of breeding AI--- This has been rule 1 for 30 years.

Alan":1xtzst6x said:

Thanks,
Alan

Where were you 2 weeks ago! :lol: Just my luck, wormed them 10 days ago and pulling CIDR's this afternoon, bred on Saturday. We will see what happens. You're the first to say don't do it. Thanks for your comments, but no turning back for them now. Hope you know I was joking about the 2 weeks ago comment.

Thanks again,
Alan

If i couldn't use a pour on on bred or short bred cows I wouldn't have had a single live cow on my place.

I have been in the purebred angus business since 1975 and this is the first time I have ever heard "rule 1".
I generally do not like to do cow processing at any time near the AI time but this thirty days thing is new to me....
I generally like to process groups for prebreeding (annual vaccines and lice pour on....we only worm young cattle) as soon as I can but have never had a 30 day minimum before breeding rule.
I have been fairly sucessful breeding cows since 1975.

pdfangus":2asf39rb said:
I have been in the purebred angus business since 1975 and this is the first time I have ever heard "rule 1".
I generally do not like to do cow processing at any time near the AI time but this thirty days thing is new to me....
I generally like to process groups for prebreeding (annual vaccines and lice pour on....we only worm young cattle) as soon as I can but have never had a 30 day minimum before breeding rule.
I have been fairly sucessful breeding cows since 1975.
That's the problem with ROT (rules of thumb), every one has a different size thumb

Latest posts