AI QUESTION

Help Support CattleToday:

DPANTOJA

Reaction score
What type of container do I need to transport semen? How much is a container? For how long is the semen good for? WHERE CAN I GET A NEW OR USED CONTAINER? AND HOW MAY STRAWS DOES A CONTAINER HOLD

DPANTOJA":1v1gy46t said:
What type of container do I need to transport semen? How much is a container? For how long is the semen good for?

You need a semen tank which is like a big thermos with liquid nitrogen. As long as you never let the semen thaw until you are ready to use it then you should not have to worry about it going bad anytime in your lifetime. I am hesitant to say it will last indefinantly but definantly a long long time. I have not priced a new tank for a while probably 400-600 for a smaller new one. You can find some used ones for a couple hundred.

jnowack":gy4772i7 said:
DPANTOJA":gy4772i7 said:
What type of container do I need to transport semen? How much is a container? For how long is the semen good for?

You need a semen tank which is like a big thermos with liquid nitrogen. As long as you never let the semen thaw until you are ready to use it then you should not have to worry about it going bad anytime in your lifetime. I am hesitant to say it will last indefinantly but definantly a long long time. I have not priced a new tank for a while probably 400-600 for a smaller new one. You can find some used ones for a couple hundred.

You will also need a "Shipper" tank for transporting. The shipper tanks have an absorbant material that won't allow the nitrogen to spill out if tipped over during shipping. Much different from a "Storage" tank.

They usually don't keep semen frozen over a week or so.

DPANTOJA

It sounds like you are new to all of this. Don't get confused by the shipper. If you are transporting the semen yourself you do not need a shipper, you can use a regular tank, just make sure it can't tip over in your truck and try not to bang it around. I put the seatbelt around mine and tie the handles back to the headrest. Good luck.

Your other question about how much they hold--it depends on the size of the tank. I have one that holds 4-500 straws and another that holds about twice that. The canister size determines how many straws it holds. There is also a difference in how much nitrogen they hold which determines how long you can go between fills. Are you doings some AI'ing? Where are you getting your semen from? I would also make sure you have a source for liquid nitrogen. Try talking to someone around you that does some AI'ing or your area semen sales rep.

jnowack":2zlg6xc6 said:
DPANTOJA

It sounds like you are new to all of this. Don't get confused by the shipper. If you are transporting the semen yourself you do not need a shipper, you can use a regular tank, just make sure it can't tip over in your truck and try not to bang it around. I put the seatbelt around mine and tie the handles back to the headrest. Good luck.

That is correct. Sorry I clouded the discussion.

MikeC":13no6ptz said:
jnowack":13no6ptz said:
DPANTOJA

That is correct. Sorry I clouded the discussion.

No reason to be sorry Mike.

Latest posts