AI Help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Longshot Cattle Co

Reaction score
It's been a good 12 years since we have done any AI'ing(back when we had dairy cows). So we're a bit rusty! My question is, what water temperature should we be using for thawing out the straws? Thanks in advance for any help!

Anything less than 32 degrees Farenheit or zero degrees Celsius (Centigrade) ought to thaw it out. Right? :lol:

Check with your semen supplier. A lot of the various studs use different extenders that require different temps.
ABS 98-100, Genex pocket thaw, etc.

dun

Farminlund":30ty1vyp said:
We use 80-85.

That seems a little on the chilly side to me. But then just take my comments with the proverbial grain of salt.

Medic24":wnyz49yd said:
I just put the straws in my back pocket an carry them around a while till they thaw.

That's pretty much how you thaw the semen from Genex, they call it pocket thaw, but I use a shirt pocket

dun

My husband has been pocket thawing semen for years - well, since he has been using straws instead an ampules.
Each stud recommends different methods, but he uses pocket on all. Never see any difference on conception.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3ivvrbua said:
My husband has been pocket thawing semen for years - well, since he has been using straws instead an ampules.
Each stud recommends different methods, but he uses pocket on all. Never see any difference on conception.

Do you use any from ABS or Select Sires?

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":qni04jme said:
Do find it makes a difference?

I alwasy go by the studs recommendations. We use Genex-pocket thaw, ABS-arm water, Select Sires-warm water but not as warm as ABS. Sure would be a lot simpler with pocket thaw.

dun

Our AI tech pulls the straw puts it in a coffee thermos to transport from driveway/tank to barn, gets all the other stuff together. When we get to the barn, puts it in his shirt pocket until ready to insert in AI gun (i think thats what its called). I never noticed any water in the thermos.

donnaIL":1alqbr9z said:
Our AI tech pulls the straw puts it in a coffee thermos to transport from driveway/tank to barn, gets all the other stuff together. When we get to the barn, puts it in his shirt pocket until ready to insert in AI gun (i think thats what its called). I never noticed any water in the thermos.

What company does your tech represent? ABS Genex Select??

Select Sires, and been AI for 40 yrs...and successful. I believe he ai's for other companies, but i was referred years ago by Mike, aka, Mylum. He doesnt work for SS and ai's for many companies.

The company collecting my bull, called yesterday. He took 6 frozen staws & set it in 90 degree bath. He took one out right away & tested it. It had 65% live viable semen (guarantees 60%). Took a 2nd one out after 1 hour, still 65% live, 3rd at 2 hours, 4th -3 hours & 5th at 4 hours, still all had 65% live semen. He was going to check the last one after 5 hours. I had no idea any semen would do that! :shock:
Dun, have you ever heard of that? I have a friend that used to collect, freeze semen & breed thoroubreds. He said some stallions' semen could be left sitting on the counter for days & still be able to settle a mare. Others had to be used immediately. I guess bovine are the same way. I thought it was interesting.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":29ukzjfl said:
The company collecting my bull, called yesterday. He took 6 frozen staws & set it in 90 degree bath. He took one out right away & tested it. It had 65% live viable semen (guarantees 60%). Took a 2nd one out after 1 hour, still 65% live, 3rd at 2 hours, 4th -3 hours & 5th at 4 hours, still all had 65% live semen. He was going to check the last one after 5 hours. I had no idea any semen would do that! :shock:

i don't know why it wouldn't? that's not much below body temp & they live that long inside the cow

I would assume that's so that you know that the motility/viability stays high enough once it's inside the cow to get the job done. I've seen it tested sometime after it had been collected but wasn;t aware of the time frame, but it sure makes sense.

dun

Jeanne - Simme Valley":elhu7rwv said:
He said some stallions' semen could be left sitting on the counter for days & still be able to settle a mare.

I had an old timer who has AI'd cows for nearly a half century (he's now 87) tell me that the early AI was done out of a bucket that was carried from farm to farm. Just load the pipet & from the bucket & breed the cow. He was also the one that suggested I lower my water bath when I was complaining of low conception rates. We did use 90, he felt the water & said take it down a some - we changed to 80-85 & seemingly things improved. Never had any reason to return to the higher temps. From what I hear/read, sounds like we use a water bath pocket thaw process. Current conception rates would say don't mess with a good thing.