AI heat synchronization

Help Support CattleToday:

docgraybull

Reaction score
A newsletter article from Dr. Glenn Selk at Oklahoma State University that I thought you might find interesting and/or informative.

COW/CALF CORNER

The newsletter

January 28, 2005

In this issue:

Plan Ahead for Heat Synchronization Methods for Replacement Heifers

Producers that plan to use artificial insemination as part or all of this upcoming spring breeding season should start their preparations immediately. A popular synchronization protocol for heifers involves the feeding of an additive, and the feed must be ordered and delivered at the proper time. Melengestrol acetate (MGATM Pfizer Animal Health) is a feed additive commonly used in heifer feedlot rations to block the cycling activity of heifers. Melengestrol acetate is a synthetic progestin that has "progesterone-like" activity. When fed for a short period of time and then removed from the diet, the sudden absence of the progestin tends to allow a large percentage of cattle to exhibit heat together. Compared to normal heats, fertility at this first heat after MGATM removal has been reduced. Subsequent heats have returned to normal fertility. Armed with this knowledge, researchers have outlined an estrous synchronization protocol using MGATM and a prostaglandin injection. This program calls for the feeding of melengestrol acetate at the rate of 0.5 milligrams per head per day for 14 days. After 14 days, MGATM is removed from the feed. Most of the heifers will then exhibit heat over the next 8 days. Nineteen days after the MGATM feeding has stopped, each female is injected with prostaglandin to interrupt the next cycle. One to six days later, females are bred following detected standing heat. (See time line below). Research at several experiment stations has indicated that this method has induced some non-cycling replacement heifers to begin cycling, thereby increasing the percentage of those cattle bred early in the insemination season.

An important consideration is that the MGATM/prostaglandin synchronization program must be started 34-37 days before the start of the breeding season. This means that prior planning must be done to assure that the feed containing MGATM is prepared and ready to feed five weeks before the date of the first breeding. This synchronization method is designed to work best with replacement heifers.

Day 0 Start MGA

Day 14 End MGA

Day 33 Inject Prostaglandin

Day 34-40 Heat detect and breed.

We've used MGA in the past and were quite happy with it. Haven't done for 10 years or so, but have 48 heifers to breed this year so are going to do it again. Last year we AIed 64 cows, used CIDR's in some (first time to try that), gave the rest Lutalyse and GnRH. Only ended up with about 60%. What are other people doing and getting settled?

Nicky

60% is good - 70% is better.

Tough to get higher numbers than that. Grab a good cover bull and let him finish them off. We use one of a different colour to verify what id bred to what.

Bez

I got better conception rates using the CIDR's than the MGA. It's so hard to be sure everyone is getting the right amount at the feed bunk. I wait 2 weeks then put in my clean up bulls. This year out of 118 second calvers, I had 3 opens and a 55 day calving period.

Latest posts