How to beat the heat . . . .

Help Support CattleToday:

I've only ever seen one of mine go off into water, and wet hair contacting the hot wire on the other side made him reconsider the heifers on the other side.
Red cows and white cows here graze all day long, unless they're full and laying down chewing cud.

TexasBred":2kixfnf3 said:
Nesikep":2kixfnf3 said:
Great, until they decide to calve there!

Careful, you might be breeding hippos :p
Must be a Canadian thing. Never had one do it in 50 years.
I've heard of plenty of cows calving right by the water and lots of calves lost... never a canadian cow though... Was it M5 or Sky that got really lucky not long ago?

M-5":1fyvktl4 said:
yes , I had one calve in the edge of the pond last year. but In the heat of the summer and when the ponds are full every one of mine red black white and yeller will cool off.
Yep...brimmers too if they're smart :lol:

TexasBred":2u1uxf6a said:
M-5":2u1uxf6a said:
yes , I had one calve in the edge of the pond last year. but In the heat of the summer and when the ponds are full every one of mine red black white and yeller will cool off.
Yep...brimmers too if they're smart :lol:

I was just thinking about that. I haven't seen our heavy brimmer influenced cattle off in tanks like that. Angus bull or some thing ya... but most of the cattle just lay under a tree. We do have pretty good shade and tanks may have gators depending on where you are.

TexasBred":3dj4lbek said:
Nesikep":3dj4lbek said:
Great, until they decide to calve there!

Careful, you might be breeding hippos :p
Must be a Canadian thing. Never had one do it in 50 years.
As much as they hang out in the ponds & the lake, I'm fortunate none of my girls have ever calved near (or in!) the water.

But Steamroller is dangerously hippo-esque! Lord knows she's buoyant and fat enough :oops:

greybeard":no27qu2w said:
I've only ever seen one of mine go off into water, and wet hair contacting the hot wire on the other side made him reconsider the heifers on the other side.
Red cows and white cows here graze all day long, unless they're full and laying down chewing cud.

You really need to get out more.

I can tell right away that isn't anywhere close to 'here'.
Too many rocks and the landscape is crooked.

But, it does appear, that those red and whites fell in with bad companions and took up some of their bad habits.

i had a sheep out on the frozen pond a couple years ago stuck. in the very middle.

talk about a pain! thought I was gonna go through the ice to save a dumb sheep!

Only time my cows go in the water is to eat the water plants. I had a Brahma cow a long time ago she was smart if you were penning cattle she would go stand in the middle of the pond. She would just stare at you like haha you can't get me.

Latest posts