AI for goats "serious question"

Help Support CattleToday:

We AIed Dairy Goats back in the 70s. We were the first producers using AI in southern cal at the time.

dun":2ecppgmm said:
We AIed Dairy Goats back in the 70s. We were the first producers using AI in southern cal at the time.

How hard is it DUN? a little Middle school FFA chapter has really been doing well with showing goats. I support them in numerous other ways and was wanting to help them get a better quality animal to show. this program has helped some of these kids and Goats are easy for middle school students to get involved. it doesn't seem that hard to do and I would only need a couple more tools to be able to do it. what these kids have done with the goats they are just picking up from a few breeders is phenomenal, adding better genetics would drastically improve their program. I'm even considering getting a few Nanny's just to raise a few kids to give to the ones that want to do it but cant afford too.

Not really hard but it takes patience. The speculums you cna buy or make yourself. For the light source I fabricated one out of an old semen goblet. By now they may have sheeths just for doing goats but we found the ones with the smallest tip worked best. If you heat the tip just a bit and put kind of a little crook in the end it makes it much easier. Most people just use thr splash method but we were taught to actually get the semen inside the opening of the cervix. Because of the fast turnover it doesn;t take many generations to really improve the quality of the animals.
Are you looking at meat or dairy?

I don;t see where it would beany different. All I know about Boers is they have terrible parasite problems and have to be wormed very frequently. I'm sure there is a meat goat or boer goat association, probably in tx. You might chekc with them about semen suppliers.

My mother was just recently certified for goat AI. We are just starting to implement AI and flushing in our program. There just aren't enough really good goats in our area to expand our gentics and we have a very hard time finding our next herdsires. We are collecting on this guy and one of his sons next month for our "insurance" since nothing happens to a bull/buck in the tank, and we will start looking at AI'ing to get new genetics. We are a long way from TX though! Look up the ABGA website, those folks are usually very helpful and there are WAY more boer breeders down there than up here.

Boot Jack Bulls":3r1ntvkj said:
My mother was just recently certified for goat AI. We are just starting to implement AI and flushing in our program. There just aren't enough really good goats in our area to expand our gentics and we have a very hard time finding our next herdsires. We are collecting on this guy and one of his sons next month for our "insurance" since nothing happens to a bull/buck in the tank, and we will start looking at AI'ing to get new genetics. We are a long way from TX though! Look up the ABGA website, those folks are usually very helpful and there are WAY more boer breeders down there than up here.
Haven't seen any goats around here that look like that. What a beast!

Thanks for all the compliments on Austin! We feel he is pretty special too! It is hard to find a buck that has his mass, foot size and structure in a maternal oriented package. Most of the bigger bucks these days are aimed at show wether production, and lack breed character and the wedge shape. All but 6 does in our herd are now his daughters or grand-daughters. He is a Captain Marvel bred buck and tips the scales at a solid 350. We collected semen on him and a son of his, and also a Cat in the hat/Polar express buck we own. They collected really well, even Austin, who is 5 1/2 now. We also scanned some of the February born doelings and bucks from sired by these 3 bucks just last weekend and we were pretty happy with the results. Again, thanks for the feedback all!
This is an Austin daughter we have shown successfully. She is typical of his offspring.

In my former life, I raised Pygmy Goats; had some of the bucks collected and bought semen from other breeders, although not many were doing it at the time. We only tried the AI one time, on 2 does, and it worked. When I sold them all out, I got as much $$ out of the tankful of semen as I did the herd on the hoof.

Latest posts