Ahhhhh.... Spring is in the air

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
It's been a long winter this year, flooding, too much snow (which is unusal for us, so we are not equipt for it), high wind storms and mud, mud, mud. Not to mention, rain day after day after day which is complimented by dark gloomy skies day after day after day.

But.... the Robins showed up last week and the Kildeer are starting to nest, sure signs of early spring. I can walk across the mud holes without sinking to my chins. I even mowed some of our lawn (we have about 2 acres of lawn) and fed the clippings to the cattle, they seem to have a smile on their face while eating it. It's been in the mid fifties and sunny, haven't built a fire in the stove for a couple of weeks. The cattle are starting to bag up and get loose in the back end, they are about 3 weeks away. My first group of AI calves..... ahhhh spring is in the air....

Just a bright sunny Sunday morning on the left coast this morning. :D

Alan

Alan, Cow lots are muddy in TN. I'm tickled to death. A nice dry winter makes for a horrible summer like we had here in 2007. Maybe a better hay crop in 2008.

Kinda hard to sniff the spring in the air, the air is -16C at the moment! :santa: More snow coming tommorrow! :eek:

Two more months should get us home free, with a little help!! :drink: :drink:

It does seem like a long one Alan. Looking forward to hearing about those calves.

Suppose to be near 80 here today. Saw blue birds and wrens yesterday and some of my wife's plants and putting out new leaves. Spring can't be far...but then we had our only snow in April last year.

Angus...no it was in Central and East Texas...a big heavy wet snow. Melted on the driveway and highways but the lawns were deep and it stayed a couple days. (This was last year)

Alan,

It was nice yesterday. It got over 60 at my place, I was down to a tee shirt. For the last week the tree frogs have really been singing in the evenings. Feels like spring. For a while I was beginning to doubt it would ever get here.

Dave

Spring, It's when you know there is a God in Heaven. Can't quite smell it here yet, but its been a mild winter so I'm not complaining. :)

You're right spring is in the air. 30 degrees,4-5 inches of snow, 30-40mph winds. Yep spring is in the air, my -ss!!!!!!!!

Bragging a bit.....we still have a foot of snow but it is getting bare in the sunny spots and the mud is growing just fine, soon we'll have six inches of it. DMc

arkcowman":2zhdykcm said:
Don't fall for these tricks of Mother Nature. Just when you think you are close, BAM,
one more ice storm. I'm not taking my heater outta the water trough just yet !

Truer words were never spoke. Calling for temp to drop to 25 later this week. :cry2:

Yes, been getting spoiled with temps back into the double digits and even some sun.... back to winter the rest of the week snowing again right now and forecast is back to frigid.... Spring will come..... hopefully sooner than later.

The geese were wrong!
Spring, is that what you call that white stuff pelting down from the sky? That's about all that's in the air around here. But just like the dog that ate the peach pit, this too shall pass.

TexasBred":3dsn5pi0 said:
Angus...no it was in Central and East Texas...a big heavy wet snow. Melted on the driveway and highways but the lawns were deep and it stayed a couple days. (This was last year)

Thats no joke hammered my fruit trees snowed on Easter.
Remember what the old timers say thunder in Feb. frost in April, we should freeze to death then cause we had plenty of thunder.

arkcowman....you hush yo mouth bout an icestorm this close to home...I'm just down the road. I am glad to see the rain we have been getting, at least the ponds are full. Junk grass and clover are starting to come on some here.

Well it sounds like spring is not in the air everywhere... but I'll sure take it here. Dave, you and I'll get low to mid 60's today and more sun. Not trying to rub it in, just really ready this year.... looooooooooong, busy winter. I do however know this is just the tease we get every year, but the storms should be over and just mild rain, and no more freezing temps....... I hope. :?

Alan

Maybe your right Alan...seen a few geese fly over last week, and it hit 8 C too.... :D Too much snow yet to see any bald patches yet though...

But I'm sure we'll get hammered with a good snow storm sometime. Maybe its me, but it sounds like March is the time for more snow. Hope I'm wrong, or I should say the folks/place I heard this from.

Latest posts