Aggressive Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

NEFarmwife

Reaction score
We run very docile bulls and I'll still keep an eye on them.

Was out to mineral/salt our Okie cows the other day and as I was dumping mineral into a tub, I heard something running up on me.

I looked behind me and there was a bull 2-3 foot from me, breathing heavy. I leaped into the truck, sure I almost died. My heart was pounding and I was so relieved I was safe. Thankfully, once he had came up on me so quickly, he had came to a stop or this could have ended very badly.

I had told my husband, as this isn't our bull. He said he had seen him out there before but it had kept a safe distance and that I was "over-reacting"... that he was probably just spooking me.

Guess who got ran into the truck? Guess who is over-reacting now? He said had he not left his truck door open, he'd have been trampled and a bull like that has no business being sold to anyone. He dropped the fence, led it to the pasture it belonged to (via the truck). Then the darn thing ran right thru it and back to our pasture.

So let's pretend this is your current situation. What do u do? My husband is reaching out to bull owner tomorrow and I even got a guy who'll come rope him to catch him, if they're needing to. But then what? If he is taken back to his pasture, he's just gonna run back thru it.

It's a conundrum. You don't want to shoot it and cause bad blood with a neighbour if it can be avoided but you certainly don't want to put yourself at risk for one second. It all depends on what sort of people the owners are. Simplest way is make an offer on the bull and haul him hopefully keeping a few dollars. If they are unreasonable people and you approach them and it goes awkward and then the bull disappears you will be in the firing line. But if you know they are not good to deal with keep quiet, make him disappear and get some compost for your trouble!

Lets just hope the owner cares enough to cooperate with you and pens the bull or puts him somewhere so he stays on his side of the fence. If he doesn't care, you may have to be the one who puts the sucker in your pen for your safety. Yeah, it's a major inconvenience and expense, but what's your choice here? I just went through a similar situation. Neighbor's bull had been in with his cows long enough he'd bred the cows and the heifer crop still sucking the cows. The bull set his sights on my fall calving cows across the fence. He pushed on the fence. Broke off posts and snapped tie wires. I called the guy and said "could we stop this before it gets worse?" Oh yeah, he'd get the bull the next day. A week later, the bull was in with my cows. Somehow I managed to get him away from the cows and headed back to his pasture. The bull couldn't seem to find the spot he'd jumped so ran the length of the fence till he got to a corner. He jumped, tripped and mostly just plowed through the fence. I took him another 1/2 mile north down the road onto the north side of their pasture and left him to figure things out. I haven't seen the bull but I've got 7 wood posts to replace cause they sure aren't going to do it.

jehosofat":1ru8rkpf said:
20 gauge, #8's, 40 yards, at least twice.
Wow, glad you're not my neighbor!

First time this bull has gotten out and the owner/neighbor has not even been informed of it yet.

(Seems the whole world has gone officially mad and is now full of crazies to advise guns before discussion.) :eek:
Twice? Once in each eye or testicle? Resorting to damaging another man's property without even talking to him?
What church did you say you go to?

Son of Butch":2bvwz51v said:
Put in a better fence along the property line. Sounds as though both you and your neighbor have a fence problem and
everyone knows... "Good fences make for good neighbors."

The bull is in pasture, ours are out on stocks that open to the pasture they've been at. So it's a hot fence. Most folks around here have their bulls home already.

Hoping they will want to haul it home too. Which is why we mentioned helping rope it if it doesn't cooperate. I'm just nervous they'll shrug their shoulders. We think we know the owners but are unsure. He's doing some calling today.

Had a similar situation a few weeks ago, neighbor hauled his bull to a farm near mine with a lone cow to keep him company. Then one afternoon I went to check my fall calving registered cows and here he is with them. I got him up and sorted off into my pens on a Tues and called the owner every day to no avail. Finally found another neighbor who he would answer on the following weekend. I just told the guy I didn't want the bull back on my place, especially with my registered cattle cuz all he could do was screw up a calf crop. I guess he continued to give the guy problems cuz I saw him at the stockyards a week later.

But if it were on my place I would load him, take him to the neighbors and offer to haul him to the stockyards cuz obviously he's not too interested in staying where he's supposed to be. Once he starts that habit it usually never ends.

jehosofat":6bynnl3r said:
Can't say that a 20 ga with #8 will work, but a 12 ga and three #7 1/2's will. I got a cow olé #8 that wouldn't stay where she was supposed to. It's been years since I wore her azz out and she's never been out since. I highly recommend a couple of loads of birdshot as an attitude adjustment.

first Inform the owner, if you know him and think he is the type to do something about it then that is all I would do. If you think he is a type of person to not really care then I would call the sheriff, have them to write a report and make sure they put in the report that he is mean and you are concern for you and your families safety also inform them that the bull will be killed if back on your property due to the safety concern. Every chance you get let sheriff know you are concern for safety of your family and that bull will be shot if he is not taken care of and make them write a report I also carry a recorder and record all conversations with sheriff and bull owner. I don't know what state you are in I live in Okla. it and most (not all) are one (1) consent states so you can record conversations. If the sheriff knows you are recording they will work hard to get the problem resolved.
I deal with lots of people and that's the way I operate a paper trail and recording to stand in court.

shooting them with shot gun NEVER I had to cut to much out when I worked at packing house even had to throw away whole bulls because of being shot with bird shot.

BRYANT":2yf9qod5 said:
first Inform the owner, if you know him and think he is the type to do something about it then that is all I would do. If you think he is a type of person to not really care then I would call the sheriff, have them to write a report and make sure they put in the report that he is mean and you are concern for you and your families safety also inform them that the bull will be killed if back on your property due to the safety concern. Every chance you get let sheriff know you are concern for safety of your family and that bull will be shot if he is not taken care of and make them write a report I also carry a recorder and record all conversations with sheriff and bull owner. I don't know what state you are in I live in Okla. it and most (not all) are one (1) consent states so you can record conversations. If the sheriff knows you are recording they will work hard to get the problem resolved.
I deal with lots of people and that's the way I operate a paper trail and recording to stand in court.

shooting them with shot gun NEVER I had to cut to much out when I worked at packing house even had to throw away whole bulls because of being shot with bird shot.
I don't believe any of that, but I have heard that shooting them hurts the leather quality.

We had a similar situation. The neighbor got him back, wouldn't fix his fence, bull got out again, neighbor put up hot wire, bull got out again, bull charged the neighbor, neighbor shot him. Same neighbor with a different bull in a pasture 3 miles away: bull kept getting out, eventually made it to our barnyard, I caught the bull, neighbor picked him up & hauled him to the sale barn later that week.

So I guess we're lucky to have a cooperative neighbor. I agree, reaching out to him first & then contacting the Sheriff if the problem isn't resolved. Good luck - and stay safe!

BRYANT":1yt1ojcj said:

Bryant

The requirements are strict with regard to contamination by foreign objects like glass, metal or even wood.

I would think that the USDA Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) requirements would immediately disqualify any animal contaminated with metal (shotgun pellets).

Back in the day and well before my time Grandpa used the 16 ga. with rock salt. Not sure it solved all his problems but I guess it did make things happen and gave a degree of satisfaction.

True Grit Farms":sy1bx6wa said:
BRYANT":sy1bx6wa said:

I don't believe any of that, but I have heard that shooting them hurts the leather quality.
I don't guess I really care if you believe it or not but it is the truth !! You could call USDA meat inspection I guess and ask them if they will allow you to process beef to sell as human consumption that has lead bird shot in it. I was boning a bull that had 3 different size of shot in him, there was so much from about his shoulders back that I don't know if we would have ever gotten it all out. The USDA meat inspector did in that case reject the bull and it was threw in the bone wagon. I have seen others that we were able to salvage some but any place there was shot was rejected . believe me if you like don't if you choose not but I have been there and done it we killed several bulls a day.

JUST REREAD MY POST MAYBE I DID LIE I SAID ''THROW AWAY WHOLE BULLS'' CORRECTION: I only seen one (1) whole bull get threw away but MANY pounds of meat from others.
sorry for the lie.

Silver":2lyxi4yl said:
Back in the day and well before my time Grandpa used the 16 ga. with rock salt. Not sure it solved all his problems but I guess it did make things happen and gave a degree of satisfaction.
That would be satisfying for sure..rather the bull have a little lead in his hide, than me laying broken up in the ER.....dealing with your own is frustrating enough...I've taken my ranchhand gaurd to a couple..they enjoy going back over,under or which ever way it puts em back:cowboy:

Bright Raven":7caocx3y said:
Call the Fence Guys. A good perimeter fence is a Number One Priority.
You don't put up a solid fence on farm ground. They're just grazing stalks. The bull however, belongs at pasture and that pasture, shouldn't be our problem.

Told my husband to offer to take bull to town and sell them one of ours if they're in need.

jehosofat":kekqiivk said:

That will sure nuff get you a ride in a sheriff car in Texas. You can't cause harm to estray without becoming liable.
You call the sheriff and have him removed the right way.
When it cost the owner he will do something.

Latest posts