Age to castrate a bull calf. Which method to use?

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmgirl

Reaction score
What age should a bull calf be castrated if he may wind up as a club calf steer. Guess my question centers around should one allow or not the male characteristics to develop?

Any advantage or disadvantage to banding or cutting a potential club steer? I have heard the general discussion for banding/cutting. My question is specific to how desireable or undesireable the options are for a potential club steer.

We just had one born. Would be nice to get it done, but want to do it right.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

Well, banding is a MILLION times easier than knifing, BUT testosterone fuels growth And as d6 said you don't want him to look like a bull..............

WarriorPatriot":3pjqz97o said:
We band ours at two to three months old. Any longer and theyll start getting those bull characteristics.

How do you fit the bands on them? Ours are WAY too big by then. Or do you use those bull banders? I've been wanting one but they're really expensive

d6cattleman":3e9ikha6 said:
I would do it at about 8 weeks. You dont want him to develop masculine characteristics.{sp} Id cut it. JMO

I agree. CUT HIM!!! I banded one of my steers and oh my gosh it stunk soo bad!! it smelled like a rat had died under him. JMO

we had our pinched at 10 weeks, but we have had some later then that, in fact we just bought one that still has one testicle up in him hopefully it will drop but he looks fine and he is 5 months old

Grand Chaser":2l4xk51b said:
d6cattleman":2l4xk51b said:
I would do it at about 8 weeks. You dont want him to develop masculine characteristics.{sp} Id cut it. JMO

I agree. CUT HIM!!! I banded one of my steers and oh my gosh it stunk soo bad!! it smelled like a rat had died under him. JMO
I heard it smelled TERRIBLE!!! One of my friends lives on a 2,000 acre ranch, and they banded all their bull calves and they could not stand to check them on a fourwheeler b-cuz of the smell. :shock:

d6cattleman":w2j0j505 said:
Grand Chaser":w2j0j505 said:
d6cattleman":w2j0j505 said:

I heard it smelled TERRIBLE!!! One of my friends lives on a 2,000 acre ranch, and they banded all their bull calves and they could not stand to check them on a fourwheeler b-cuz of the smell. :shock:

oh wow!! that would be sooo horrible!! i bet they'll never do it again! ;-)

Grandchaser,

How old was the calf you banded? I'm thinking on a young calf there would be less to stink? We will prob band this guy, if we band him, in the next week or two.

Thanks,
Farmgirl

He was banded at an older age like 3 months possibly it was a long time ago so i can't remember. but mabey with a younger calf since there is less there it might not stink as bad.

I hate banding for the very reasons discussed here. Frankly, I consider it almost inhumane, even when done on baby calves. The only reason I see to do it is on large bulls where you are really afraid of a bleeding problem. I would much rather get it over with.

There is nothing to be scared of using a blade. If you are unsure of how to do, vets are usually quite reasonable. We use game scissors to remove the scrotum and an emasculator (looks like a pair of pliers with a blade on one side) that cuts and crimps the cord. We also give 5 cc penicillin at cutting. We cut about 200 calves per year and the last time we had a problem was with one calf several years ago who apparently didn't have the clotting factor in his blood.

We cut pretty young. We start calving in late August with most born in Sep and Oct. We cut every year the first Saturday in December. Everything born by then gets cut, even a couple of days old. We don't have any problems with the older ones getting cresty.

chambero":1cvkxn3v said:
I hate banding for the very reasons discussed here. Frankly, I consider it almost inhumane, even when done on baby calves. The only reason I see to do it is on large bulls where you are really afraid of a bleeding problem. I would much rather get it over with.

There is nothing to be scared of using a blade. If you are unsure of how to do, vets are usually quite reasonable. We use game scissors to remove the scrotum and an emasculator (looks like a pair of pliers with a blade on one side) that cuts and crimps the cord. We also give 5 cc penicillin at cutting. We cut about 200 calves per year and the last time we had a problem was with one calf several years ago who apparently didn't have the clotting factor in his blood.

We cut pretty young. We start calving in late August with most born in Sep and Oct. We cut every year the first Saturday in December. Everything born by then gets cut, even a couple of days old. We don't have any problems with the older ones getting cresty.

yall do it nicer than us when it comes to cutting. :shock:

I don't know about nicer, but its faster for us (with less chance of accidental injuries with a knife when a calf is kicking around). We also use a calf table for cutting. Used to throw them by hand, but the table makes for less wear and tear on us also.

My dad dose it alot diffrent. he cut the bottom off and dosn't cut the cord thier cods(as we put it)are attached to he just rips the whole thing out.

Grand Chaser":4mn52vw2 said:
My dad dose it alot diffrent. he cut the bottom off and dosn't cut the cord thier cods(as we put it)are attached to he just rips the whole thing out.

Yep. that's how we do it too.
We usually band when they're less than 2-3 weeks old doesn't stink and it doesn't seem to be painful for the calves.

had the vet out and had the vet do the cutting. I babysat the "steers" for the afternoon and all were back to normal by early evening. Very cheap and no smell....I did treat the incision area for flies for a couple of days but went well. :cboy:

Latest posts