age of fertility?

Help Support CattleToday:

John in WI

Reaction score
I have an unrelated heifer calf and a bull calf, both 5 months old, in the same pasture. The buyer of the bull is wanting me to hold on to him for another month or maybe two before he picks him up. How close am I to the possibility of an unwanted breeding - or am I already past it?
Thanks
John

If their Gelbviehs better be ready for a calf next summer. You can always give the heifer a shot of Lutalayse after he takes the bull just to make sure.

John in WI":1sfi5upk said:
I have an unrelated heifer calf and a bull calf, both 5 months old, in the same pasture. The buyer of the bull is wanting me to hold on to him for another month or maybe two before he picks him up. How close am I to the possibility of an unwanted breeding - or am I already past it?
Thanks
John

If you end up keeping the bull for two months you better give the heifer a lute shot just to be safe. I have proof of 7 month old herfs. JHH

Mine even got the shot and still had the calf. JHH

John in WI":3orklad4 said:
Thanks
John

That depends on the individual animals. If you want to make sure there is not a problem, get out there with your steel post driver, a few panels, and seperate them.

Thanks for the help. I also noticed a post similar to mine that has been helpful.
As for specifics, these are black Simmental calves. Probably around 400 pounds right now. They were born in late April.

Simmentals are early maturing SEXUALLY, but "generally" you shouldn't have a problem. The heifer may start cycling, but the bull "usually" can't settle her.
A lutalyse shot 8-10 days after the bull leaves is good insurance.

mind235":3oj20k1s said:
If the he did cover her will the heifer be able to have the calf or will she be too small to deliver?

That depends on the heifer. Generally speaking - a heifer bred at this age will require help, but that does not automatically mean a C-Section or a lost calf. I would be more concerned about the set-back on the heifer's development - which will impact the calf - and I would do everything possible to try to compensate for that.

Thanks.

I just took a heifer in trade and I know there was bull with it for a couple months. She is about 500 pounds and in excellent health but I hope it didn't happen. Never saw any interest in the heifers actually I was more concerned about my 6 month old bull layiing his head on the cows

Latest posts