AGE for Heifers to Breed Brimmer Base

Help Support CattleToday:

thommoos

Reaction score
Okay at what age should a heifer bred at? or is it a size issue you look at?
15 months
18 months
21 months
24 months

The reason I ask is one the prettiest heifers I have had finally bred at 24 months, Just like her momma, but her momma is consistent @ under a year in calving interval.

I got some older Beefmaster cows, and when they was young I usually turned them over to the bull around 16-18 months old. But you gotta take into consideration their size for sure.

thommoos":mo1vn6po said:
Okay at what age should a heifer bred at? or is it a size issue you look at?
15 months
18 months
21 months
24 months

The reason I ask is one the prettiest heifers I have had finally bred at 24 months, Just like her momma, but her momma is consistent @ under a year in calving interval.

Mine are consistent calving under a year and I do the same as ALACOWMAN.

You should target the heifers to reach 65% of their mature weight at first breeding. 650 lb s for an animal that will weigh 1000 lbs at maturity, 715 lbs for a heifer that will make a 1100 lb cow, 780 lbs for a 1200 lb m ature cow and 845 lbs for a heifer that will make a 1300 lb. cow. Those larger females will probably be older in reaching puberty.

I start breeding heifers at 15 months. Heifers with alot of brahma will sometimes be a little longer breeding but then calve every year if they stay here.

I have a large % of brangus heifers cycle the first time at 8- 9 months. Never breed one that young but they are cycling. Breed to calve at 2 years old regardless of size.