AFTER WEANING

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

After i wean my calves, i want to put them back in the same pasture as their mothers just so i can keep them all together, so how long do i keep them away frum their mothers? also, whut do i feed the calves when im weaning them? please email e your answers if u cna and post them (i need alota help haha)

[email protected]

> After i wean my calves, i want to
> put them back in the same pasture
> as their mothers just so i can
> keep them all together, so how
> long do i keep them away frum
> their mothers? also, whut do i
> feed the calves when im weaning
> them? please email e your answers
> if u cna and post them (i need
> alota help haha)

I can't speak for what other people do, but for the last three years I have weaned my calves by feeding them hay and pellet grain, it takes a while for them to get used to the grain, but not for long...I have also creep fed in the pasture while they are on their mama's and they take to the grain easier at that time then at weaning but I have had trouble with the bull and cows ruining my creep feeder so have gone to giving them grain directly at weaning. I wean for three weeks and then turn them back out...I have had luck doing it this way without calves going back on their mothers, but I stress the word "luck".

[email protected]

"Lucky" is right. I never put my weaned calves back with their mom until after heifers are bred in the spring. Prior to weaning, you should give preventative shots to your calves (IBR, PI3, BRSV, BVD (one shot), clostridial shot, pasturella shot, and dewormed (following manufacturer's instructions). After weaning, first day should be good grass hay, then start introducing a 14% protein mixed feed with the good grass hay. Plenty of good fresh water at all times. Jeanne

http://www.simmevalley.com
[email protected]

> "Lucky" is right. I
> never put my weaned calves back
> with their mom until after heifers
> are bred in the spring. Prior to
> weaning, you should give
> preventative shots to your calves
> (IBR, PI3, BRSV, BVD (one shot),
> clostridial shot, pasturella shot,
> and dewormed (following
> manufacturer's instructions).
> After weaning, first day should be
> good grass hay, then start
> introducing a 14% protein mixed
> feed with the good grass hay.
> Plenty of good fresh water at all
> times. Jeanne

Yes, I have been lucky but for years before I would always keep them separated after weaning...but a woman that has been in the cattle business for 40 years is the one who showed me how to do the three week, turn them back out, once in awhile you will have a calf that goes back but we have found that there is less stress on the calf...usually the decision is based on the udder of the mama being dried up...once you know your cows you can judge when that bag has dried up...and yes, the vaccination program should be in place, guess I just assumed that was being done since no mention of it was made....these message boards are great as they give everyone many opinions and experiences of a great variety...you never know every thing in this business and there is constantly new things to learn...

[email protected]

Latest posts