Advice on situation

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
We are pretty sure we are going to buy a 60 acre piece that is all pasture. The man that I am giving free labor to in exchange for learning the cattle business used to lease it and run some of his Black Angus there. He obviously lost the lease becasue the lady is selling. What would be a fair offer to him to be able to put some of his cattle back on the land if we buy it? I was thinking offer it to him free and I will help take care of the cattle. He uses his equipment to take care of pasture and after a year I get a couple of his cows (he has about 150 head) to start my herd and use of one his bulls or AI. This way I could really get hands on learning without putting any or little $ into it at first besides the land. We are getting a great deal on the land!

Opinions?

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Sounds like a recipe for hard feelings. I would just tell him the situation and ask him what kind of deal would benefit the both of you. I noticed how you frazed the relationship between the both of you. If he is your mentor in the ranching business then he is your mentor and give him that respect. If you are giving free labor so he teaches you the ropes then your a future competitor and he will teach you as such. I wouldn't want my mentor slash neighbor competing with me for leases or lands for sale or having to keep this information from one another.
I hope you don't take offense to this. I'm just giving my opinion. It seems we are in similiar situations so I posted. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Walt

Sounds good to me learn and get some animals out of the deal whithout paying much just mortgage good luck check and see what good pasture leases for by the month and ac see what works best for you

I agree .... recipe for hard feelings........

You charge $7.00 per month per cow or $7.50 per month per cow/calf put on the pasture and you do not charge in the months of Jan. and February.

He would be glad to have you look after them or should be.

I'm glad you're not going to quit your job over 60 acres. My hubby got 50 acres of the family farm and we've got it planted (actually the brother in law used hubby's 50 acres for several years with no compensation as my husband just isn't one to make any noise) and we're using some of his (my brother in laws) acreage this year.... have 20 acres planted in alfalfa/orchard grass and 40 acres will go in corn and 10 acres for his homeplace cows).

We have our cows out on rented pasture and that's what we pay (see first paragraph).

You are already volunteering your time in exchange for him to be mentor - he's being compensated for that as he has a hired hand that he doesn't have to pay labor for.

The pasture is a separate business proposition. I'm guessing here but won't that hold about 25 pairs??

Latest posts