Advice on an old cow, from a hobby farm prespective

Help Support CattleToday:

Rafter S

Reaction score
If she was with a bull for 7 months and didn't take, and it isn't the bull's fault, and she was in good body condition, I'd think it's unlikely she'll catch this year. I know that's a lot of ifs, and probably not what you want to hear, but there it is. With that being said, if you want to keep her and give her another try, or just keep her because you want to keep her, she's your cow and you can do whatever you want with her. There's nothing wrong with being a hobby farmer.

I have a couple that when they quit producing will still have a home until they die. My advise is to just let her be try to keep her in good flesh she might just surprise you with another calf or two one day.

Our oldest is 11 she's Hereford/Angus. She's had a calf every year and I've only seen her not breed back right away once. Took the bull two heats to settle her a few years back. She's never been lame yet. We're hoping to get one more calf out of her in 2017 she's AI'd to Durango 44u. We'll probably retire her after this year.

What type of feed does she get primarily?

CJC":uyfrfwc6 said:
Duramaxgirl":uyfrfwc6 said:
Our oldest is 11 she's Hereford/Angus. She's had a calf every year and I've only seen her not breed back right away once. Took the bull two heats to settle her a few years back. She's never been lame yet. We're hoping to get one more calf out of her in 2017 she's AI'd to Durango 44u. We'll probably retire her after this year.

What type of feed does she get primarily?

She's a pretty spoiled cow and to be honest I am not sure if what I feed her would effect her being able to be bred so please don't be shy to criticize.

She is on pasture for about 8 months out of the year. The other 4 months is during the winter. She is still on pasture but the grass isn't doing much for her. She always has access to a round bale if she doesn't have a large amount of grass to graze on. It's good quality and sometimes silage.

She is also given grain everyday :help: I'm a sucker!!! I give her and 2 other cows a bucket each morning.

We provide the licks that were recommended by the feed store.

She doesn't look over weight. To me she looks just right. But maybe some would say I overfeed?

My Steamroller is dangerously close to a BCS 9 and she's 9 years old. That fat girl calves like clockwork. That said, we also have a 10 year old that has fallen behind but still raises a whopper each year and we've never had to doctor her. She stays. If this is not a crunch-the-numbers situation then keep her for as long as you want.

If you're willing to hold her over open then I don't suppose it matters if she's bred or not. That's not an answer I'd give to anyone expecting to make money but you seem comfortable with it being a hobby and it's your cow. ;-)
Assuming that any of the various diseases that would cause infertility are not in play, there's no reason why she shouldn't breed back next year IF she isn't already bred(and she may very well be) and her next calf might be a rip snorter as she's had lots of time to get herself ready.
If you're considering culling her if she didn't stick then you need to either send off a blood sample or find someone that can palpate accurately.
Best of luck with whatever you decide.

If she's important enough to you, to keep her, and your giving her maximum care anyway, I'd have the vet palpate her, and if she's open, I'd have a repro eval done on her. Then you know exactly where you stand.

Edited to add:
If she's open from a disease, you don't want it spreading.

Latest posts