adjusted weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
How is adjusted weight determined to get weaning weight. I don't quite understand if you weigh them at 205 days what else do you consider to come up with a weight. Seems like the real weight would be the weaning weight?

Usually cows younger than 5 years and older than 10 's calves get an upward adjustment to compensate for the reduced milking ability because of young age/old age. The closer you way to 205 days the more accurate your weaning weights will be.

tuck":320mmtwa said:
How is adjusted weight determined to get weaning weight. I don't quite understand if you weigh them at 205 days what else do you consider to come up with a weight. Seems like the real weight would be the weaning weight?

Because it would be a pain to weigh each and every calf exactly 205 days after they are born.

By subtracting the BW of a calf from his gross weight then calculating his ADG and multiplying it times 205 days and adding the BW back in will give you all you need.

The Age of Dam adjustments are intended to put each and every calf on the same level of opportunity basis.

if you have MS Excel, you can use this http://5barx.com/downloads/5BarX-WWadj-MB.xls

it is as close to the Angus Association will let me get to their adjustments. they have a proprietary formula that i havent come across yet.

the metabolic weight stuff is something i am playing with. just ignore it.

tuck":381t3yo7 said:

if you have 200 cows w/ 200 calves that were born over a 60 day calving window, you will have to seperate and weigh 3 or 4 calves every day...for 2 months.

Thanks that helps, I guess the dam's age being figured in is what I was not getting.

Latest posts