Added bonus

Help Support CattleToday:

cmf1

Reaction score
Pulling the trigger on culling the questionable members of the herd was profitable right now.

The added bonus of evaluating what's left and feeling temporarily satisfied ...is satisfying ... temporarily.

It does feel good.......for now.......until you get a case of seller's remorse. :lol:

BUT looking back over the years I can only think of only 2 that, even now, I tell myself I shouldn't have sold. But they were a long time ago and what's done is done and the money was right.

Katherine

3 of them I really wanted gone, 2 I was on the fence.
Now that it's done I'm pretty happy carrying these through the winter.
If I can keep them from getting too fat to calve.
I kept the easy keepers and increased the grass and they were scaring me before that.
No tubs this year for sure.
Even more nickels!!

I am glad that you were able to make a profit.

Our cows are starting to get quite round due to the rainfall we had throughout June. We will probably keep the calves on a little longer than usual to keep the cows from getting too heavy. It seems like the easiest keepers seem to live a bit longer than the others too if you can keep them calving each year.

Backbone Ranch":3vbtgn4w said:
I am glad that you were able to make a profit.

Our cows are starting to get quite round due to the rainfall we had throughout June. We will probably keep the calves on a little longer than usual to keep the cows from getting too heavy. It seems like the easiest keepers seem to live a bit longer than the others too if you can keep them calving each year.
Same here. Sister came by and looked at my heifers and asked when they were going to calve.
"February and March"

'What? They look ready to pop right now!!'

Ain't much I can do about it--the grass is everywhere and they're gonna eat it.

Thanks BB,
GB, there are worse problems to have to be sure.

BB take some pix of those Mojax cows up in Indiana.
Let me know if Dave is as nice a guy in person as he is on the phone.
I'm betting yes.
Hope you guys have a great trip.

yes cull cows and bulls are higher than the devil.i looked at our local sale barns reports cull cows and bulls are bumping $1.40 a lb now.but heres the kicker you sell 2 cows or heifer calves.then if your lucky you might be able to get a reg cow for $3000 to $3500 bred or pair if your lucky.the next sale i go to resolved to go to $3500 a hd if i have to.

Thanks cmf1. I will try to take pictures and send them to you after we visit him. I am looking forward to meeting him in person.