Added some new heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Ryegrass is doing well, I have plenty of hay, calf prices are low. Time to add some heifers. Bought a group of heifers fairly cheap - all from 500 to 600 pounds, $414 was the highest I paid for any of the group. This is the first time I've ever tried limo's. The Angus plus bull I have throws pretty uniform calves with a various group of cows, so hopefully they'll fit in fine:

heifer2-1.jpg

heifer1-1.jpg

heifer3.jpg

grannysoo":lqt7jj1t said:
Good job. IMO, if you have the feed, you need to add all you can afford to at this time.

Yep, the only problem is that they are heifers and won't bring any money in until fall of 2010. Then there's always the possibility of calving trouble. Hard to pass up 5 and 6 weight heifers for .64 cents/pound.

Good deal it looks like! An added bonus if your bull throws uniform calves... they should make decent momma cows.

And I'm horribly jealous as well.. we only have one of those three.. low calf prices! :cry2:

cypressfarms":2sdgnflu said:
Ryegrass is doing well, I have plenty of hay, calf prices are low. Time to add some heifers. Bought a group of heifers fairly cheap - all from 500 to 600 pounds, $414 was the highest I paid for any of the group. This is the first time I've ever tried limo's. The Angus plus bull I have throws pretty uniform calves with a various group of cows, so hopefully they'll fit in fine:

heifer2-1.jpg

heifer1-1.jpg

heifer3.jpg

Cypress, in my area I'm seeing pastures full of heifers. No one wants to sell at the current prices. Problem is, I think, most folks are retaining heifers. You know where that puts the mama cow numbers in a couple of yrs. That doesn't bode well for prices when that happens.

Wewild,

Very nice group of heifers. There's definitely a difference between those you raise and those you get at a stockyard. By spring they will hopefully develop and I'll have a nice group of heifers ready to breed. If not, They'll get sold as bred heifers next fall (there is still a high demand for bred heifers here)

cypressfarms":31igoht4 said:
Wewild,

Very nice group of heifers. There's definitely a difference between those you raise and those you get at a stockyard. By spring they will hopefully develop and I'll have a nice group of heifers ready to breed. If not, They'll get sold as bred heifers next fall (there is still a high demand for bred heifers here)

Good post. I'm fishing for the folks that say heifers a'int go t no pay back.

Wewild":6u3iutfh said:
cypressfarms":6u3iutfh said:
Wewild,

Good post. Heifer can have a payback whether you raise them or not.

Around here the only niche that hasn't taken a big hit has been the bred heifer sector. Bred heifers (black brangus ofcourse for our area) are still bringing good money at the frequent replacement sales. Bred replacement heifers, depending upon their quality are bringing anywhere from $800 to $1200

cypressfarms":1xztyryc said:

heifer2-1.jpg

heifer1-1.jpg

heifer3.jpg

Cypress,there is nothing wrong with those heifers. Considering they did come from the salebarn and it is winter. The will be just fine later on.
Wewild,you have some very nice heifers.

Latest posts