Hereford Shorthorn cross pictures added

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
Hi-
Bought a bull at the auction today- looks like a ShorthornXHereford. He looks to be just weaned, 665 pounds. I'll get a picture on here tomorrow.
Do you think that will be a decent butchering steer? he seems real calm.
I thought prices were high, lots of cattle over 1.00, we got him for .82, still added up, but meat's pretty expensive too!
We may pick up another one since we have plenty of cheap hay in the barn--- we'll see.

Just lookin for opinions-- I'll post a pic so you can tell me whether or not you agree with my breed guess--- :)
119_1942.jpg

119_1944.jpg

119_1946.jpg

Susie

Sounds OK if indeed he is the X you say. Feed him right and he will be OK.

Scotty

susie":i7zpbses said:
got him for .82, still added up, but meat's pretty expensive too!
We may pick up another one since we have plenty of cheap hay in the barn--- we'll see.
Susie
Are you gonna feed hay and grain or just hay.

Are you gonna feed hay and grain or just hay.

Alfalfa and grass hay mix over the winter, pasture , then grain to finish 60 days or so we're thinking. Ready to butcher next Fall.

Susie

Looks very good, nice backend should have good beef on him. I would grain feed him the last 90 days, age him 14-18 days, then please send me a few ribeyes :D

Looks to me like you made a good buy. I would start him on the alfalfa and grass hay mix along with about 5 lb per day for a couple mo. then up the amt of grain until he is on full feed along with all the hay he wants.
Looks like a pretty good steer.

I like him...how about sending half a beef across the state line next fall? :lol:

Susie...you got a nice animal at a good price...be sure to worm and vaccinate him. Like mama used to say "you never know where he's been". We feed 2-5 lbs of cracked corn per day to provide additional enrgy when the temps drop below freezing.
When do you plan on cutting him?
DMc

Susie David":36o9d5lv said:
Susie...you got a nice animal at a good price...be sure to worm and vaccinate him. Like mama used to say "you never know where he's been". We feed 2-5 lbs of cracked corn per day to provide additional enrgy when the temps drop below freezing.
When do you plan on cutting him?
DMc

Thanks- sounds like we might be having everyone over next year :) :D
He's wormed and vaccinated already, we haven't decided when we're going to castrate him. We don't have a problem cutting him, but looking into using a big bander , gonna ask the Vet what he recommends. Not in too big of a hurry, just gonna research it first before we decide.
I hope he gets uglier as he gets older, because he's too cute right now! Nice and quiet temperament also.

Do you think he's got some Hereford or other breed along with the Shorthorn?

Anyway, we thought we did ok too on buying him-- although we hadn't seen him when we looked at the cattle beforehand and of course the bidding happened so quick when we'd won the bid we said uh-oh... what did we buy.. it felt like a weak moment. :oops: Our top price was 85 cents a pound- I think he was the only reasonably sized ( under 1000 #) to go in that price range.

Susie