add muscle to herd- best bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I want to hold back some heifers in the coming years. I want to put a bull on them that will add the most muscle to the herd. I am thinking of charloias or beef master. I have a mixed commerical herd with some ear in most of the cows. I dont want to go with brangus. Comments.

I suggest that you use a red naturalean piedmontese bull. This will give exactly what you need; good muscle without loosing on milk or calving ease. The cows will have a moderate frame that charolais does not give. And the bull calves will be<something!

What ever breed you like. Just select a bull that has muscle within that breed. A bull that will complement what you already have. And stay away from this single trait selection or you may be breeding in something that you don't want.
What you really need to do is figure out what you want to end up with as your final product to sell. Then select the bull accordingly.

jvicars":2gz5tf6t said:
I want to hold back some heifers in the coming years. I want to put a bull on them that will add the most muscle to the herd. I am thinking of charloias or beef master. I have a mixed commerical herd with some ear in most of the cows. I dont want to go with brangus. Comments.

Check out Piedmontese. There are several breeders in Tennessee and Georgia that you may want to contact. You can find breeders listed in the membership directory at http://www.pauscattle.org .

I'm trying to do the same thing, was thinking about a black limousin, anybody think thats a bad idea?

Black limo is what I have now, and he definitely added muscle to my calves out of the beefmaster momma cows.

A breeder here in my area raises registered Romagnola. These bulls will flat put muscle in a herd. Don't know much about their calving ease or disposition etc.

HOSS":3ah0mc0f said:
A breeder here in my area raises registered Romagnola. These bulls will flat put muscle in a herd. Don't know much about their calving ease or disposition etc.

Cherokee Hills? They have a neat operation from what I have seen.

keep in mind that he said he was going to breed heifers.
plenty of well muscled animals in most breeds.

I have a small herd of 35 cows. I currently have angus bulls on them. I dont want to get something I cannot get locally or within 100 ish miles. The bulll selection is limited here to angus, charloias, beef masters and brangus. At least getting a selection from.

if it was me and i stress that part
since the heard already has some ear in it (don't know exactly how much) i would go on those heifers with a good well muscled Angus, if you can find one, then come back in a year or two with Char
if ear in cow is 1/4 or less which i doubt, i may would consider a good BM (I like a BM mama), then come back with AN or CH.
Really hard to say for sure without knowing the true makeup of the herd, and other goals other than wanting to put some muscle on them.

jvicars":l2fktrzu said:
I have a small herd of 35 cows. I currently have angus bulls on them. I dont want to get something I cannot get locally or within 100 ish miles. The bulll selection is limited here to angus, charloias, beef masters and brangus. At least getting a selection from.
The selections you mentioned are all good ones.

CKC1586":1wrojodf said:
HOSS":1wrojodf said:

Cherokee Hills? They have a neat operation from what I have seen.

No. Cherokee Hills is farther NW of my location. This breeder wins allot of shows with his bulls I know. Right now I cannot think of the name of his operation. I may try to look it up.

A Jim Lents bull would be great for calving ease and muscle, but he may be too far from you. IMO, these are Hereford bulls that have muscle to compete with any breed.

If you use Roma better have a vet close... Big cows/ Big calves can u say C-section ,, do you know how to pull calves?

Latest posts