Add 3 pt to older tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

I don't know that there is an aftermarket add on kit. I'm sure one could be fabbed up with a cylinder and hydraulics. May not be pretty but it would be feasible at least

If you do a web search for "aftermarket 3 point hitch", you'll get a lot of results. Seems like there are a lot of options out there, though I'm no help narrowing them down. I've had good luck with order things, and getting help, with Messicks.
http://www.messicks.com/tractorparts.aspx
I can't say if they carry aftermarket hitches or not, but I'm guessing they do. At the very least, they'd be able to point you in the right direction.

You don't give us much info to go on. What tractor and what 3 pt implements do you intend to use on it?

Case tractors since the early '50s had the "Eagle Hitch" available which was basically a Cat I 3pt hitch. The Eagle Hitch did not allow side to side movement.

Eagle Hitch works great for a 3 pt mounted blade. Won't work at all for a 3pt post hole digger because the PTO on the tractor is too high up relative to the hitch.

If an Eagle Hitch was available for your Case tractor, you should be able to find one in a salvage yard. Whether it meets your needs for what you want to do, that depends.

Just bought it. 49 case VAC. This dude is in great original shape. I mainly want to be able to move round bales and use 3 pt blade. Came with drag type brush hog that works great. Post auger is not important. Any idea how to add a eagle hitch and where to get one?

Thanks!!!

OR........is there any type of hitch I can add to enable moving hay and being able to raise a blade?

John SD":3rmnqe51 said:
You don't give us much info to go on. What tractor and what 3 pt implements do you intend to use on it?

Case tractors since the early '50s had the "Eagle Hitch" available which was basically a Cat I 3pt hitch. The Eagle Hitch did not allow side to side movement.

Eagle Hitch works great for a 3 pt mounted blade. Won't work at all for a 3pt post hole digger because the PTO on the tractor is too high up relative to the hitch.

If an Eagle Hitch was available for your Case tractor, you should be able to find one in a salvage yard. Whether it meets your needs for what you want to do, that depends.

How big on a job to re mount an Eagle Hitch?

I'm not real familiar with a VAC. But seriously, I'd rethink any plans to move round bales with such a small tractor . What do your bales weigh? You possibly might find or build some kind of pull type bale carrier that the VAC could tow, but I'm thinking that would be quite marginal.

As far as I know, the Eagle Hitch was only availble for 1952+ model tractors. I've seen Eagle Hitches on DC and SC tractors. Can't say I've ever seen one on a VAC, but the VAC is a rare tractor around here. Saw a good runner once that wasn't pretty to look at sell at auction once for $140. The buyer used it to rake hay for years.

Never changed Eagle Hitches around myself so I don't know how much of a job it is. Looks pretty straightforward but maybe some parts are rusted together after 50 years. I have two 1952 DC tractors with Eagle Hitch. I have another 1952 model DC with only PTO.

I have a couple 1950 models. Everything is different on them. Although there is a lift system available, Eagle Hitch will not mount on pre-1952 models.

I don't know if it applies to all Case tractors of this era, but you can determine the model year of a DC from the serial number located on the dash under the battery. Subract 4 from the number. For example a serial number starting with 56 indicates a 1952 model.

The differences between Eagle HItch capable tractors and older units is readily apparent when you compare them. 1952 DC models also all had live PTO. Pre-1952 models did not.

Here's a pic I found at ytmag of a VAC with Eagle Hitch. As with a lot of old tractor questions asked here, a person might get more knowledgeable results from a place like ytmag which specializes in old iron.

Eagle Hitch on VAC: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi ... &th=602957

not an Eagle Hitch, hitch used on 1951 DC. pre-1952 rear castings offer no provision for mounting Eagle Hitch: http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi ... &th=602951

Wow!! Thanks!!

Not all that familiar with tractors. Just been renting one 3 or 4 times a year when I need one since I just raise cattle with no farming.

What all can a guy do with a tractor without 3 pt? All I really need it for is brush hogging but, can it be fitted with a bucket? Any type of blade made for it? What all drag type implements are available?

Thanks! :cboy:

novatech":1cosh4tw said:
Just buy a trailer type bale mover. The same as the ones that go behind a pick up for single bales.

I agree. Here's one I found and the price seems reasonable. Wouldn't be hard for someone handy with a torch and welder to build one cheaper than this out of scrap.

I'd like to see heavier hubs, wheels, and larger tires used. Still looks to me like a fair weather machine only. This unroller would be certainly be an anchor behind a VAC in spring mud or in a foot of snow when you need it most LOL!

I see this one is rated at 1500 lbs so smaller bales would probably work better than larger ones. My 5x5 bales weigh around 1300 lbs. My neighbor's full size bales weigh about 1800.

http://www.equipmenttraderonline.com/fi ... R-97083292

2barmcattle":2meltwie said:
Wow!! Thanks!!

Not all that familiar with tractors. Just been renting one 3 or 4 times a year when I need one since I just raise cattle with no farming.

What all can a guy do with a tractor without 3 pt? All I really need it for is brush hogging but, can it be fitted with a bucket? Any type of blade made for it? What all drag type implements are available?

Thanks! :cboy:

Does your VAC have self contained hydraulics? There are small 3 pt implements made for tractors the size of a VAC but I've never seen many pull type implements that small.

I'm sure you could pull a 2 bottom trip type moldboard plow or about an 8' tandem disk. I have an 8' JD trip type field cultivator that used to be pulled with a Ford 8N. You could also pull a 7', possibly a 9' sickle bar mower. And you could pull most any kind of small pull type hay rake.

I'd say anything a 8N can do a VAC can also, but your options sure are limited by lacking the 3pt hitch. If you have your heart set on using a blade perhaps your best option might be a fabbed hitch as hooknline suggested.

For the money, you might be better off buying an older tractor with pto and 3pt rather than trying to put one on that never was meant to have one..just a thought

hooknline":3epfwpi6 said:
For the money, you might be better off buying an older tractor with pto and 3pt rather than trying to put one on that never was meant to have one..just a thought

For jobs like utilily work, moving bales, or a bigger mower I would suggest at least a 50HP+ tractor with 3pt and live PTO. IMO, a tractor modern enough to have power steering and be a direct start diesel would be a plus. Gas is OK but if you're doing a lot of heavy work with $4 fuel a gas tractor will eat you out of house and home.

For most intents and purposes, a VAC is not much more than a glorifed lawn tractor. The lack of a 3 pt certainly limits its abilities compared to an old Ford or Ferguson of similar vintage. If the VAC handles the mower it currently has adequately, that is probably its main vocation in life.

Well. That is really all I wanted it for anyway. And, I do have a single bale mover. Will be nice to just keep it on the tractor in the winter vs hooking it up on my pickup every time I feed.

Latest posts