Acron calves

Help Support CattleToday:

leenihon

Reaction score
With the drought of 2007 here in Southeast. Cows had tough winter. Now they are calving and have had 2 out of 8 born breech and deformed. Vet says it is acorn calves. Said something to do with nutrition. Got online and found papers from Australia said after drought they have had same problem but they didn't have any answers. Does anybody else experience this and what did you do? Or do you know where I can get some info?

I think your drought theory is on track. That can certainly lead to nutritonal deficiencies in bred cows. Ample minerals are also very important. Both may be involved with calf deformities.
You may want to give more study to the term "Acorn Calf" before cutting your trees down.

I don't know if the cows got any acorns because with the drought I did not have any acorns grow. I have never had this problem and I have had these cows in this field since '93. They could have eaten oak leaves with the hay being low. I feed supplemental feed at the rate of 6 lbs a day for the entire winter to help with the lower quality hay.

White Oak acorns are about the only ones they will eat enough of to hurtem. White Oak acorns are sweet and the cows like them about as well as the deer.

That's what I was trying to say in a polite manner. Acorn calf is caused by a vitamin and protein deficiency. I just didn't want the person to go out and cut down all their oak trees.
However, My old cows will root acorns like hogs when they find them.

I did find an aritcle from NSW saying Mg might be the problem. Does anyone know of something more recent than 2006.

Keren is right on track with this one. A lack of minerals can really create a lot of problems with the cows. Some now, some later....

Acorns are very good feed, animals of all kinds get fat and do well on them.
We have many oaks on the ranch and during drought years will produce few or no acorns.
On good years the cattle will feed heavily for a couple weeks or more.
The thought of acorns doing harm to cattle is. :banana: :banana: :roll:

I had this problem a few years ago. I am not sure what the problem was but you might look into HEMLOCK . There is alot of it growing around here. I had also purchased a new bull that year . Sold the bull and killed the hemlock. Have not had the problem since.

Just to let you know. Have had three calves since last post. Two are fine, third deformed and dead. Talked to UT ag services and they had no help except I needed to take the next one and get autospy. This last one was born in night so could not preserve for autospy. this is very frustrating. Vet says he has never seen this many in one herd before. This makes 3 out of 12 calves born this month. Hopefully if another is born I can take it to get analysis.

I'm sorry for your losses, but if they are true acorn calves, get some manganese supplement asap, not sure how long it takes to kick in and if the damage can be reversed (I'd be doubtful) so probably cant save this seasons calves, but might prevent problems next time round.

Just had another "acron" calf. This one was born over weekend so once again can not take it to the lab. The vet says they are between 120 to 140 days of development before they go stillborn. Cows are carrying full term though. I have placed trace mineral salt out. so the running total for 2 months is now 4 acrons to 13 good. What a year.

Latest posts