acorns

Help Support CattleToday:

Hobo

Reaction score
Is there any concerns with cows eating the acorns from oak trees. This is the first year we have had them do this? They have grass and hay access. Thanks :???:

This has been thoroughly discussed in this forum a few times. You might want to search through the threads.

I have groves of live oaks and red oaks along with pecan between the flood plains. I have never had a problem with cattle and acorns or pecans that I am aware of. The pecans are a bigger concern for me because of the shells in the intestines.

Yes, acorns will cause a problem, but not often they will pack in their stomach and cause them to get worms worse. Also they will loose wight chasing after acorns.

I have a lot of red oak, pecan, cherry and acres of bracken fern. To date, I have not lost a single animal to these poisons and believe as long as you have fair grazing and are not starving the cows you should be alright. Cows seem to know what's good and what's not. JMO

They can surely die. Years ago I lost one from acorn poisoning, and my neighbor lost three, from the same tree on the fenceline. My cow got to where she just stayed under the tree, I would guess Waiting for an acorn to fall. She wouldn't come to feed anymore after just a few days. Haven't lost any since, tree still there. Good luck.

buckwheat

Latest posts