acd 2 yr old opinion?

Help Support CattleToday:

jvicars

Reaction score
I have been looking for a acd to help with my cattle. I understand it takes until about 2 yrs old to get them trained and useful. I spoke with a woman who shows and trains them. She has a 2 yr old female that is been trained on sheep and she was saving for a show prospect but she says its not quite there for a show ring.

Question: Should I start w a pup?

Question: She wants 650 for the dog. Is it worth the extra to get an older trained dog? I assume yes but I dont know how well its trained until its been on cattle.

I have a buddy with cattle dogs who says i can bring mine over to teach her how to work if needed.

My instint is its a fair deal since it has training and she shows and trains them for a living.

Having an older dog to train with a pup will make every thing easier.

IF the older dog is really that good I would get it and train the pup off it.

Training from scratch can be done but it is very hard,, especially if you haven't trained one before. Even if the dog does turn out there is a good chance it won't be as good as it could be,, the first time.

i settled on a 7 month old acd. the dog was purchased from a breeder who bought it for her breeding group. the pup did not end up with the right lines for her so i bought it. great looking dog but still young. i bought her around the cattle today and see looked around and followed me.

i have a friend who has dogs and who is going to come over and show her the ropes. i am not sure what to expect. any advice for training and or links to good training video to start with. I am need it as much as the dog. thanks.

There are a ton of places on the internet that give advice.

Start with basic obiedience if it hasn't been started already. That is the basis for everything. Sit, stay, load up, no, ect...

If you or the dog can't do that then there is no point in even thinking about cattle. :D

It is never too early. I pulled a Curr X Catahoula pup away from here mom on Sunday. She is 6.5 weeks old. Today she is house broke, will "come", knows "get out", and will "sit". I am working on "go", "kennel up".

thanks for the advice. so far she has basic training in place and knows to flow be around in the pasture and on the horse. i brought her around cattle and see looked alot and was not really confident enough to do much. i arounded them up with the atv with her on the back for starters. time will tell. she is a nice pup but i dont need more pets but a working dog. thanks.

That is where another dog comes in handy. Alot of times if you get an older dogs to start working the cattle then yours will too. If it is in the dog,, it will come out when another dog starts working them. The dog is still pretty young though.

Alot of time we kennel the old dogs next to the young ones. The young dogs tend to kind of attach to the older ones then they will play monkey see,,, monkey do. Makes things alot easier.

thanks for all of your help. i took her out today and when cows run see likes to go after them. then they turn at her and she comes running to me. i dont want to make her 'gun shy' so i am just introducing her to cattle. she is large for her age but still only 7 months.

when should i expect to be able to really start training her on cattle

i dont have another cattle dog so its hard to keep her near by

i have access to a few that she can be around and watch them operate.

thanks

YOu can probably tell she acts like a puppy right now. For now that is really the best thing you can do. Just introduce her in small amounts, make it fun, try not to burn her out or let her get hit or any thing.

There is no set age but as she matures more and more start pushing here more and more.

Maybe set up a day when one of you friends dogs can work there dogs and you can take your pup,, I would probably wait until around 10-12 months,, so the pup is not so ackward. She has to able to move good when its time to get serious,, no stumbling around.

Latest posts