Abused Mule

Help Support CattleToday:

Stepper

Reaction score
I read an article in the paper tonight about a mule that someone got mad and so that tied it to the bumper of a truck and pulled it. From what i read the mule must have locked its legs and would not move. The article said that there was blood for 1000 feet on the pavement and the mules hoofs had been ground down by an inch.

The mule was taken to a animal shelter and the owner was fined $2500. The mules name was Hazel and the article said the mule would probably be put up for adoption.

The owner shouldn't have been fined. He should have been tied to the bumper of a truck and drug until his feet were ground down by an inch. Eye for an eye kinda thing. :mad:

hmmm, seem to remember there was a thread on here someplace that seemed to think dragging was an acceptable method for halterbreaking a calf.

3MR":2ybctsm1 said:
hmmm, seem to remember there was a thread on here someplace that seemed to think dragging was an acceptable method for halterbreaking a calf.
It is an acceptable way of breaking a calf if done correctly. My friend uses this method to break her steers. But she is extreamly careful how she goes about it. She makes sure that the steers cant get caught up in thier lead, she walkes beside them just incase she needs to be there and someone walks beside the truck to signal the drive to stop. But they do this practice in soft dirt to prevent any trauma to the legs or hooves.

cowgirl Ibara":oujo2qw1 said:
3MR":oujo2qw1 said:
It is an acceptable way of breaking a calf if done correctly. My friend uses this method to break her steers. But she is extreamly careful how she goes about it. She makes sure that the steers cant get caught up in thier lead, she walkes beside them just incase she needs to be there and someone walks beside the truck to signal the drive to stop. But they do this practice in soft dirt to prevent any trauma to the legs or hooves.

There is no such thing as dragging an animal "correctly", and it is not an acceptable method of halter breaking - I don't care how careful the person doing it is. Do you honestly think soft dirt is going to prevent injuries if that calf locks his legs? Please! :roll:

msscamp":3gi5oa1y said:
cowgirl Ibara":3gi5oa1y said:
3MR":3gi5oa1y said:

There is no such thing as dragging an animal "correctly", and it is not an acceptable method of halter breaking - I don't care how careful the person doing it is. Do you honestly think soft dirt is going to prevent injuries if that calf locks his legs? Please! :roll:

Well i guess its your own opinon but it works. Personally I wouldnt want to have an 800 pound animal drag me around when this method works just fine. I think its better then leaving a long lead attached to their halter and letting them step on it. Also she has never had an injury of any type by doing this practice. But again its your own view point.

When you break an animal before 800# you don't have a problem. When you wait is when you can get hurt so instead of dragging the animal get out to the barn and break it when it is younger. And if you do not get the animal until it is 800#, you are getting the animal too late. Just my opinion but many 4-H kids get hurt by waiting to long or not having an older person help them.

She doesnt get her steers until their 800lbs or over since thats what weight our distruibutors sale up here. Anything under 800lbs is raised for Prospect Steers.

Latest posts