ABS Red Angus bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

shadyhollownj

Reaction score
Ok I know I posted asking this question before but I was planning on using red gelbvieh or simm. I am planning on cross breeding some of my polled herefords this spring. I am going to use red angus now because of a slight problem I had at the sale barn. I was feeding out some hereford and cross bred heifers and ran in to a problem with the butcher so I decided to take them to the sale barn. I knew I would get less than angus but my heifers went for 25 cents less than angus. What a crock of you know what. But thats a whole other discussion. SoI feel I have to give in a little. That brings me to the red angus question. I am looking for some decent maternal and good meat at least marbling. Ok so I am looking at Cheyenne, Assurance, Celebration, and a few others but Everyone has something that I dont like. Now I know epds dont tell all the story so I ask if anyone has used or recommends any of these guys. I would like to possibly keep some f1s from the breeding also. I like the looks of some others but epds dont match what looks good to me at least. Thanks. Oh I also am getting hooked up with accel gen because I am getting some World Class from them so if theres any good ones there let me know. I just got the catalog so I didnt go over them yet.

Of the 3 you listed I would star clear of Cheyenne, His GS is noted for heorrible calving ease. Celeberation is light for WW and YW. Assurance is a little high for my liking in the emilk department but he would be my choice of the 3 even though his accuracies are low

Thanks dun I was leaning towards assurance but like you said his acc are low. I am not that concerned about that though since I would only be breeding a few cows not the whole herd. Cheyenne gs is his grand sire I take it. I was just throwing those names out since they had less faults than so me others as far as epds. I looked through acc genetics and select sires. Talk about some weak epd and young sires. I gotta go on bull barn today. Thanks.

shadyhollownj":32i0hwd8 said:
Thanks dun I was leaning towards assurance but like you said his acc are low. I am not that concerned about that though since I would only be breeding a few cows not the whole herd. Cheyenne gs is his grand sire I take it. I was just throwing those names out since they had less faults than so me others as far as epds. I looked through acc genetics and select sires. Talk about some weak epd and young sires. I gotta go on bull barn today. Thanks.
Look at Packer at Genex

I'd stay away from Assurance until he is proven out better - LCC Mario (sire) has a horrible CED.

Accelgen's Conquest has some promise (yah, I know Cheorkee Canyon is MGS, but his CEM has been staying positive so far). I think as long as you stay positive for marbling you'll be okay crossing British breeds, no need to go too extreme. If you want a lot of muscle you are going to have a hard time finding too many sires that won't hurt you calving ease wise, but it's getting better. Dun is right on Packer, seen good stuff out of him, and he goes back to a good sire and granddam. (I heard Bieber's and Accelerated just partnered on a bull that is a full brother to Joshua [Packer's sire] so stay tuned..)

shadyhollownj":fy1hu8la said:
Everyone has something that I dont like.

If you find that perfect bull, let us know which end of the rainbow he's on. Maybe the last page of the internet. :)

I would look into Jackhammer and Laramie with ABS. We are doing some large commercial heifer projects with both of these bulls. Jackhammer is a super stout bull, with good calving ease. He has been bred to a little bit of everything from red angus heifers to gelbvieh cows. The first calves are on the ground, and seem to show alot of promise.
Laramie is also being used on alot of commercial projects. He will give calving ease, and have some growth to back it up. He also will add to the carcass traits.

A New bull that they are listing is TUGBOAT. He came from Brown's in Texas. He is a super stout thick made bull. He has great epds and a phenotype to back them up. He is pretty much an outcross to most of the breed too.

I took a look at packer he looks pretty good. I was looking at conquest and new deal from acc gen but they didnt really do much for me. As far as jackhammer I had read some posts about you using them good to here the calves are on the ground and look good. All those bulls you mentioned from abs just arent proven at all for meat or calving ease for me to be comfortable. Packer looks like he is in the lead so far. Thanks.

shady,
If the salebarn buyers are like the ones here - you're not going to be any better off breeding to a Red Angus. They want 'black', and you'll still be turning out red/red baldy calves, and they'll still be docking you.
Personally, I prefer red cows, but my market doesn't, so I'm trying to make mine black, by using black Angus bulls on my red/yellow/gray SimAngus cows. Can't see giving up $.25/lb just 'cause the red ones are prettier in the pasture.
I will, however, be breeding a few of my old high% Simmental cows(anything over 7/16 SM) back to black Simmental sires another time or two before they leave here in 2012 to make room for the upcoming generations of Angus-influenced cows/heifers. If you'll consider Simmentals, take a look at Dikeman's Sure Bet and 'Olie' at ABS - both are homo black with good calving ease, good carcass merit, and pretty good materal epds - stayability, API, TI are pretty good.
Hooks Shear Force 38K(available from several studs) is another good SM bull that we'll be using - heterozygous black, so you'd get some red calves; good calving ease/low BW, he sires great udders, has high marbling & ribeye epds, top 1% for API and TI, 4-star Tenderness rating on the gene tests, and has a tremendous shear force epd. He'd be my choice for moderate framed F1 females(he's a 5.6 MFS) with the potential to produce terminal calves with good carcass and eatability.

I have a question on breeding a moderate frame red angus bull to moderate frame black heifers. 3.6 to 4.5 frame on both.
what kind of calf's and what colors?

Probably too small of a calf to sell very well. If the cows are heterozygous balck (1 red gene 1 black gene) some of the calves will be red, if they are homozygous (2 black genes) all the calves will be black

I've been curious about the Tugboat and Jackhammer bulls. Thought of experimenting with them myself but if I can talk you into it that would be almost as good.

cleland":j63pvw8j said:
I would look into Jackhammer and Laramie with ABS. We are doing some large commercial heifer projects with both of these bulls. Jackhammer is a super stout bull, with good calving ease. He has been bred to a little bit of everything from red angus heifers to gelbvieh cows. The first calves are on the ground, and seem to show alot of promise.
Laramie is also being used on alot of commercial projects. He will give calving ease, and have some growth to back it up. He also will add to the carcass traits.

A New bull that they are listing is TUGBOAT. He came from Brown's in Texas. He is a super stout thick made bull. He has great epds and a phenotype to back them up. He is pretty much an outcross to most of the breed too.

Keep in mind that the dam of Tugboat and the dam of Jackhammer are both B571 daughters. There are a few more bulls in ABS's lineup that are out of B571 cows and Judge is a direct son of B571. I don't know how much of an outcross Tugboat really is.

Julian":2uc1a3ih said:
cleland":2uc1a3ih said:
I don't know how much of an outcross Tugboat really is.
I wonder if they mean in comparison to all of the stuff that has the accursed cherokee canyon in their bloodlines

Latest posts