? about tetanus vaccine

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Going to be working cows and calves soon, and I have a question about vaccines. I have a kind of vaccine called Cavalry 9, it has tetanus included, I am wondering if that would be sufficient if I band calves, or if I should give a dose of an additional tetanus vaccine, or would that be too much? I typically use a 7 way Blackleg vaccine and a dose of a tetanus vaccine also if I band a larger calf, and have had no problems with that, but this time around Cavalry 9 was the only vaccine was all that was available the day I bought it.

Ideally, you would vaccinate for tetanus a couple weeks before banding to allow time for calf to develop antibodies to the anaerobic bacteria that causes tetanus. Some folks (guilty at times ) don't always vaccinate for tetanus before or during banding. Try to, but doesn't always work out. Heard of folks giving tetanus antitoxin at time of banding. Lucky P ( if I recall correctly) has several very informative posts on the topic.

bball nailed it. Ideally, I'd want a dose in them at least a couple of weeks prior to banding, then booster at band application.
I use Cavalry 9 as my 'go-to' Clostridial bacterin/toxoid.

Probably been millions of calves banded with no tetanus prophylaxis that did just fine - but I've seen major trainwrecks associated with banding - either with no tetanus vacc. or, giving tetanus toxoid at time of band application - it's a race to see who wins - the calf or the tetanus organism.

true grit,
It's possible... but how many folks are routinely vaccinating their cows with a tetanus toxoid product as part of their vaccination protocol to ensure that colostrum contains those antibodies?

The one and only time I bought calves banded when they were bigger 2 of them died from tetanus. I would cut them with a knife before doing that again it was a horrible thing to see. They had 1 shot when they were banded. It is recommended to give one shot 2 weeks before and one at banding.i have used the small cheerio bander on newborns in hot weather, but we knife cut everything anymore no mistakes.

Lucky_P":ecpeg6ta said:
true grit,
It's possible... but how many folks are routinely vaccinating their cows with a tetanus toxoid product as part of their vaccination protocol to ensure that colostrum contains those antibodies?

Well black leg and tetanus are two things that can be almost eliminated by the use of a simple vaccination program. The way I understand it is respiratory vaccines are similar to a flu shot or wart shot sometimes they sometimes they don't. Is there any truth to this?

Well black leg and tetanus are two things that can be almost eliminated by the use of a simple vaccination program. The way I understand it is respiratory vaccines are similar to a flu shot or wart shot sometimes they sometimes they don't. Is there any truth to this?

They are 90 to 95% effective. Some use a Pasturella vaccine also as that is a very common respiratory strain.